Muscovy Duckling protein %

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SundownWaterfowl, May 5, 2009.

1. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I bought 2 Muscovy ducklings over the weekend. Probably about 2 weeks old.

What % protein feed should they be on? Right now they are on Purina Start and Grow. Ive read that they should be switched over to a high protein gamebird starter at a couple weeks of age. Purina makes a gamebird starter at 30%, not sure if my agway carries it though.
    Nutrena also makes a gamebird starter, and im pretty sure that my other agway can order a bag or two for me.

2. Laney

Laney Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Spring Hope, NC
    I would seriously look into that percentage. I have only read that ducks should have a much lower protein concentrate than chicks.

Higher concentrations cause slipped wing, or angel wing. I have read that 14% is where you want your ducks to be at about 2-3 weeks. So far I have only been able to get 15% as the lowest protein concentrate at TSC.

I have no idea if Muscovies are different as a breed??? Or if you are fattening them up for slaughter. If so, the 30% might be right. I would know nothing about that situation as I have never raised ducks for meat.

Laney

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I feed my birds game bird feed...24% protein.

It is not protein that fattens birds. It is the carbohydrates in corn, wheat and soy that do that.

I would not worry about feeding the high percentage feed IF (and I do mean IF!!!) you are ALSO feeding them fresh greens daily.

I know protein gets the blame for angel wing, but I believe that is the carbohydrates based on what wild ducklings eat after they hatch and the incidence of angel wing in ducks that hang around in parks. People feed those ducks BREAD, not protein. Wild ducklings eat lots of bugs, worms, larva, etc and aquatic plants. The protein percent in these items is fairly high but it DOES NOT contain a lot of starch (which converts to sugar when digested).

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Well, I bought some Purina duck starter 20% protein. These will not be eaten, they are pets. [​IMG]

5. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    That will work.

I started my ducks on greens at a couple of days old as well. I took frozen french cut green beans and floated it in a shallow pan. They played with it more than anything at first. Then it became their favorite treat.

As my ducklings got older, I basically used them to clean out my freezer. I froze a bunch of veggies the last 2 years and didn't label anything [​IMG]

My ducks ate bags of thawed out frozen kale, spaghetti squash, peas, broccoli, cauliflower, and zucchini along with fresh cucumber ends and peel (the English type...softer peels), lettuce pieces, cabbage, etc...

Here they are as babies doing their favorite sport.... pea diving!

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  6. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    Muscovies do not need a higher protien feed.

7. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    i give my ducks dry dogfood sometimes , they love it. if i dont give it to them the just gang up on the dog.

8. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    My duck's favorite treat is high protein/low carb cat food. My normally shy runner will sneak in the house and try to steal it if you don't lock the patio door [​IMG]

9. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:is the taurine in the food okay for them? i never gave them cat food because it is more expensive than dogfood.I am guilty of feeding the dog food that costs 8$ for 20pounds and the cat insists on Whiskas.

10. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Considering it is an ingredient in Mazuri waterfowl maintenance, and I only give my birds a few pieces here and there as a treat, I honestly haven't worried about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by