Muscovy duckling stopped moving and egg turned purplish-reddish-black

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by princessmama, May 11, 2009.

1. princessmama

princessmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Friday I was surprised to discover a few of my eggs had pipped internally (day 29). Saturday when I opened bator to mist stuck the flashlight on a few eggs and found more busy ducks. Sunday, last night, the same.

The first egg that had pipped internally looked like the duckling was stretched out inside the egg. Could see down and shape of head in the air cell. The rest of the egg was a combination of dark and cloudy, with a ring between the air cell and the rest of the egg.
    No movement visible. [​IMG]

This morning the narrow end of the egg is a sickish color the wide end is turning black and all around the middle are yellowish-tanish speckles. Anyone know what's up with it? I suppose it died. Last night I was hoping it was napping. But with all the color changes...
    [​IMG]
    I've never done duck eggs before; this is my second time hatching anything.

We have one external pip as of last night between nine and ten. Yay! Can't wait to see my little duckies [​IMG]

2. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Muscovey ducks are the hardest to hatch from all duck breeds.

Broody duck is reccomended.

3. princessmama

Apr 2, 2009
    I'm sure that information would be helpful if I had a broody duck... [​IMG]

As it is, I do not. I have an incubator full of eggs.

Please do not reply if all you have to say is "they are the hardest to hatch, don't try it" That is not the slightest bit helpful to me at this stage!!! [​IMG]

4. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    How do you know the eggs are pipped internally? Are you taking them out and candling them? Maybe too much handling? I don't know.
    As to your question.... does the discolored egg smell bad? Good luck, and please let us know how the hatch turns out!

5. princessmama

Apr 2, 2009
    I was doing my final candling on day 29 to check progress. Not expecting to see internal pips yet [​IMG] After that I just stuck a flashlight up to the egg when I opened to mist and add water. So, no, haven't been handling a lot. Haven't candled again.

I'll definitely keep you all updated [​IMG]

Just lifted the bator lid and took a sniff. I think it does stink a little. Should I toss it, or wait a little?

Edited to add : We are recovering from a cold around here so i'm not sure how accurate my sniffer is. I had my oldest son sniff and he said they all smell the same. Hmmm... Maybe I'll see if my MIL is home next door. Hey do you wanna come sniff some eggs? [​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  6. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    I can't answer you question, however I wanted to tell you I too am attempting to hatch Muscovies and get discouraged by everyone telling me they are impossible to hatch or nearly so.
    My Muscovies came from a hatchery and I know they were hatched in an incubator.
    So I wish you the best of luck and I hope to see a new thread by you soon titled "they said it wasn't possible" with lots of pics of adorable Muscovy ducklings.
    I LOVE Muscovies they are my favorite breed.

7. princessmama

Apr 2, 2009
    Thank you taraann [​IMG]

I had not heard they were difficult when I ordered the eggs. I still would have done it [​IMG]

MIL came over and I talked her into smelling the egg [​IMG] She said it didn't smell like anything. Must have been my overactive imagination!

The first pip is starting to zip! [​IMG]

So, hopefully soon I'll have a new post with pics of my successful hatch [​IMG] [​IMG] I don't doubt it is difficult as has been said many times. But, I'm going to keep expecting the best!!!

Good luck with your scovy's [​IMG]

8. R@ndy

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Taneytown
    Great news and my fingers are crossed for you [​IMG]

9. Bantymama

Bantymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    MN
    I had an egg like that once. At about day 20 or 21 it started to turn funny colors, black and purple.. It never did hatch. I opened it and it was partly developed and then started to rot. I hope all goes well. Keep us posted.

10. princessmama

Apr 2, 2009
    Quote:Yeah, I'm thinking that it's a goner. [​IMG]

We have a second pip [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by