1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Muscovy duckling with crooked neck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lilchik, May 15, 2011.

1. lilchik

lilchik Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Rio, WV
    My duckling is about 1 week old, black and white muscovy. Feeding non-medicated starter feed, plenty of fresh water. Until today appeared healthy and normal. Went to feed and water and found one of the ducklings with what appears to be crooked neck. I have only had experience with one other chick doing this, a Polish chick that I got from someone else. Do ducks also get crooked neck? All treatment for the polish chick was unsuccessful. Anything I can do to help this chick? How do I know if its in pain? The parents are both healthy. The ducking is in an enclosed pen with the mother and siblings. Most likely no injury.

2. lilchik

lilchik Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Rio, WV
    Help...anyone.

3. DuckDuckDuckGoose

DuckDuckDuckGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    The Great Northwest
    Quote:Im so sorry, but the last baby that someone posted about with a crooked neck passed away. I don't know what it is, or why it happens, but I don't think that is a good sign. Hope you can find someone that knows how to help.
    T.

4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Last edited: May 17, 2011
  5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I had a Muscovy duckling that hatched with a severely crooked neck. I started it on PolyViSol(no iron) vitamin drops for infants right away and it started showing improvement in a couple days. You can buy the drops at Wal Mart and I gave them 2-3 times a day, just a couple small drops in the bill.

Here's a link to the thread & pics of my baby that had a crooked neck/wry neck
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=433986

Last edited: May 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by