Muscovy duckling with hurt leg

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ducklover77, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Ducklover77

Ducklover77 Songster

Jun 14, 2019
    Florida
    Hi y'all. So ive been watching one of the wild muscovy hens in my neighborhood for about 2 to 3 weeks. She has 6 ducklings but one has a hurt foot or leg can't get that close to investigate well. The poor thing holds it's foot up close to it's body they are getting pretty big it's hanging with it's mama and siblings very well but should I do anything to help it or just let the duckling stay with it's family? The baby hops along and is always last one in line and I just know the poor thing is easy prey any suggestions my friends?

the cluck juggler likes this.
  2. the cluck juggler

the cluck juggler Incubator Addict

Jun 12, 2017
    Scandinavia
    Seeing as it's a wild bird, you can contact a wildlife rescue center and hear if they can take a look at it. Hopefully they'll have the facilities to help it in a way that it can be released into the wild.

3. Ducklover77

Ducklover77 Songster

Jun 14, 2019
    Florida
    Unfortunately they won't do anything for the duckling. I have my own muscovys as pets so I think I'd be it's only chance for help if I even should my heart breaks for the poor thing

Miss Lydia and the cluck juggler like this.
  4. the cluck juggler

Jun 12, 2017
    Scandinavia
    If I were in the same position, I'd help it. Take it from its mom, check and splint the leg and get a few other ducklings as company. It's strictly speaking not allowed to take in wild birds, so that's a decision you'll have to make for yourself.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Muscovy’s aren’t considered wild or domestic they are feral and are considered invasive in most places. Pretty sad when it’s us humans that did this to begin with. But anyway, if there is a way to help I’d be hard pressed to sit by and not try and do something. How old is the duckling? We all know a one legged duck doesn’t stand much of a chance living in the wild.

6. the cluck juggler

Jun 12, 2017
    Scandinavia
    Ah! I thought they were considered wild in Florida since they're apparently very abundant there. Yeah, very sad. :(

Ducklover77 and Miss Lydia like this.
  7. Miss Lydia

Nope invasive. No protection what so ever. Only place they are protected is in a certain part of Texas where they are considered migratory :(

8. Ducklover77

Ducklover77 Songster

Jun 14, 2019
    Florida
    I have some good news. So they came by yesterday the Mama and her 6 youngins and I was watching them and it looks like the duckling was walking on it's leg :ya I was watching for awhile just to be absolutely sure and my prayers were answered it was running all over. I've seen so many Hawks around lately grabbing ducklings and the Mama's screaming and I was so worried that it wasn't gonna stand a chance but I think it does now. You all are such wonderful people thank you for always giving such great advice when needed :love

9. Ducklover77

Ducklover77 Songster

Jun 14, 2019
    Florida
    It's sad that it's that way. That is why I do whatever I can for them and even the ones that are not mine I take them in and I kick myself in the butt when I do but I can't help it I love Muscovies

Miss Lydia likes this.
  10. Miss Lydia

Your a special person with a good heart.:hugs

Ducklover77 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: