Muscovy Duckling with Wry Neck/Crooked Neck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bleenie, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

One of my babies had difficulties hatching, I actually had to help it out of the egg because it was starting to turn black(very weird?) and i found large blood 'clots' inside it. Anyway... the baby has wry neck so I went out and bought the poly-vi-sol drops(no iron) and had brewers on hand so i started it all tonight. How often should I give the stinky vitamin drops? [​IMG]

I want opinions on just how bad this 'case' is and if you guys think the baby will turn out alright? it will curl it's neck up but has little trouble "unravelling" itself to eat, i just have to see if it can get into the waterer without issue.

VIDEO:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Nekhebet

Nekhebet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Erie
    We had a silkie chick that developed this so bad he would step on his head. We gave a drop a day and saw improvement in a few days. It's been like a week and he isclose to normal. I held him a few times and straightened him out with my fingers to offer him food with the other hand. I think he was grateful!! Good luck

3. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I don't know anything about the vitamins, but it looks like he's curling up like he's still in the egg and hasn't figured out that he's hatched already. I don't know if that's a good thing or not, but I would think it would get better in a few days.

4. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

He will get his neck out of that position and walk around to eat and drink. I just hope the vitamins will correct it. has anyone dealt with this before?

5. Tbird84

Tbird84 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    Corapeake, NC
    will these drops work on an adult with pre-existing wry neck? Hope your duckling gets better.

6. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I think that it has to be treated while they're still little, or at least still growing. I am unsure if it's correctable after adulthood. You might try posting a new thread about it.

7. Tbird84

Tbird84 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    Corapeake, NC
    Okay, thanks. Gonna try it anyway. I don't know how long he has had it for. He was a freebie mystery duck thrown in with a pair of muscovies I had gotten. They were in a crate so small you couldn't tell his neck was a little crooked. Poor thing. I've read that it can come on with a nutrient/vitamin deficiency. So, I have him on the Poly-vi-sol and Niacin. Started today. I hope it works. Hope the duckling pulls through will no lasting effects.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by