Muscovy ducklings are hatching!!! Again. **PICS**

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jdywntr, Mar 9, 2013.

1. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    And there are already 3!!!!!! I wasn't expecting them until Monday, she is my first thats been at the low end of the incubation time. Yay for blk/white broody having more than 1. Now her little foster duckling is going to have some siblings!!!
    Unfortunately, 1 was almost out of the nest and wasn't moving much. I put it under mom so hopefully all will be fine once it warms up. Luckily it isn't as cold out today as it has been recently.

Poor little foster duckling looks a bit confused as to where to go.

Pictures to come.

2. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    First pics.

[​IMG]L
    Foster duckling is on the left. 4 now and 1 working its way out.

[​IMG]

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Aww looks like #1 baby is going to have some friends. Congrats!!!

4. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Thanks. I was really surprised to see them. I'm not sure why as this is still within the hatch dates but everyone else has always hatched at 35 days. I saw 1 more pipped. She is on 15 or 16 though. [​IMG]

I was expecting chicks to hatch today but so far none. Though my chicken will NOT let me look without pecking REALLY hard.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  5. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Sadly one of the babies died. It looked like it may have chilled after hatching because it didn't look like it fluffed up at all. I think she has 7 but she is not happy about me looking. So I don't know.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    So sorry, but Congrats on the new lil ones. looking forward to seeing pics when mama relaxes some.

7. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    So cute, thats to bad about the one though. Hopefully, things will settle and you'll know what you have.

8. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Well it looks like 9+ the foster. So she hatched 10 out of 15 eggs. I removed the eggs. Opened one which had a fully formed duckling in it. Not sure why it didn't hatch. I didn't check the others. All appear well.

9. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    That is pretty good, your cold there right? my girls took a look this afternoon at dusty and saw one egg was really, really dark.. sounds promising, i just hope she doesn't only have 1 again, i worry about it being cold, would it not be better to have a few to keep warm, argh! i'm on edge bet your glad to be able to get moving past this for a bit, at least till the chickens come eh lol

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  10. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Our weather varies between freezing and upper 60s F. It's kind if annoying. Yes I'm glad it'll be done for a bit. Good luck with dusty. I hope she has a few for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by