Muscovy ducklings are hatching!!! Again. **PICS**

Its only 48F out now. We got below freezing overnight. Tomorrow is supposed to be in the low 70s. Crazy temps. I don't think that they are able to necessarily pick out mom yet. When I was herding them back in, a few of the babies ran after some of the juveniles.
roll.png
Basically I have 13 that look very similar to mom. I also don't think they keep up as well and I have nothing outside for them yet. So mom will be locked in until they are probably a week old.

Its only 48F out now. We got below freezing overnight. Tomorrow is supposed to be in the low 70s. Crazy temps. I don't think that they are able to necessarily pick out mom yet. When I was herding them back in, a few of the babies ran after some of the juveniles.
roll.png
Basically I have 13 that look very similar to mom. I also don't think they keep up as well and I have nothing outside for them yet. So mom will be locked in until they are probably a week old.

48 would be fabulous right now lol and 70! we'd be dancing in the streets, nah the drakes would be sexed crazed.
smack.gif

So so so so cute!!! Thank you for sharing these pictures!
love.gif

We've only one layer right now and we're not sure who that is. Eight girls, five are eating their calcium, there are two nests in the coop, but only one egg laid a day. C'mon, girls!
big_smile.png
I've been collecting every day... still waiting for it to be warmer before I can leave them, but I'm sooOoOo ready!! Hehehe!! As jealous as I am, I'm happy there are warmer states who can share their early Spring flocks with those of us still in snowy land!
celebrate.gif

I have one gorgeous girl sitting on 13 eggs there were 14, but yesterday I found some broken shell in the wading pool, can only figure she kicked one out of the nest and it broke. Crazy ducks are always putting sticks, old pecan shells and junk in the pool. Silly duck set her eggs up in a chicken nest, wouldn't use the nice one I constructed on the ground. Now besides biting chickens in the nests, I have a pipping Muscovy duck. She stopped trilling and started pipping when she decided to set. We we will need to be vigilant at hatching and transfer to a ground dwelling. We are getting up to 10" of snow today I sure hope things improve soon, ducklings are due in a month, and I need to set up a small pen for mother end brood (hopefully).

Back
Top Bottom