Muscovy ducklings gender help? Pictures included.-NEW pictures 8/17/11

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Missymac, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Missymac

Missymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    NY
    Ultimately I do not care what gender they are, but for naming purposes, it would be helpful:) I have one picture here, I can provide more, at different angles upon request.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I don't know but my only little duckling at that age and she is a Muscovy thats 7 weeks now, does trilling, thats the noise they make. i understand the males don't. I know my adult males don't. But my duckling sounds alot like my adult girls, just in a higher pitch. They are adorable!!

3. Missymac

Mar 24, 2011
    NY
    I have not heard either make a sound yet. They are both currently sitting quietly on my lap. The one with the whitish legs is a bit larger, and has a slightly larger beak but not much...

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Did you just now get them? give them a little time they'll start talking to you. [​IMG] If they are the same age then possibly you have a boy and girl. the boys are bigger than girls but at their age it still might be too early to tell. Another week then you might know more.

5. Missymac

Mar 24, 2011
    NY
    They are the same age exactly, but not siblings. The person I got them from had a pair in each of his coops and hatched 8 eggs from different pairs on the same day. There was 4 left when I went and picked up my two. I brought them out to visit the chickens, and the poor chickens were terrified of them so back to the house with me they went. Both of them a chirping now. One seems a bit more fiesty then the other. Nibbling on my shirt, finger what ever. When I put them down they run to me and hop up and down at my legs until I pick them up. THen they snuggle up to me. They were not this cuddly with the guy I got them from. They must both be boys:p

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:You will enjoy them so much, even though ours is an only child, mama rejected her and sibling died in the egg, they quickly bond to us and they have the best personalities. The chickens will get use to them but be careful they don't peck them till their old enough to get away from them. I let our duckling hang out with the ducks chickens and goose but I keep a close eye on her and she can get away from them if she needs too, but at yours age they haven't learned that yet. That would be nice if you had a boy and girl if your planning on ducklings in the future, but if I ever have a chance to do this over I'll go with all girls. [​IMG] Most of mine are rescues so I didn't have a choice in gender. Love them though.

7. Missymac

Mar 24, 2011
    NY
    They are just adorable. I love them already. So sweet and friendly. A pair would be nice, both girls would be better than both boys as it is always easier to find a male than a female if I chose to hatch, but as of right now, my other half is going to have fun trying to convince me to move them outside at all:)

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  9. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    with Muscovy ducks you can usually tell gender by the size of their feet...males generally have huge feet and the females have small feet...

10. manybirds

manybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    u wont be able to tell yet. on muscovies the best way to tell the young apart is and 3-5 weeks when the males start to get much larger than the females.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by