Muscovy ducklings, how do I clip wings/

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by harleyjo, Jul 15, 2010.

1. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    I have about 5-6 week old muscovies. My husband says we are going to need to clip their wings. How do we do this?

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
  3. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

It's a bit early to need to clip their wings yet and you will only need to clip one. One wing clipped throws them off balance and pretty much grounds them. At 5-6 weeks their flight feathers aren't all the way in yet and you need to avoid cutting blood feahters. I usually start clipping a wing when they get enough lift to get a few feet off the ground which is about 10-12wks. Here is a link that I used plus you can do a google search for other diagrams. I give mine the #2 Beauty clip which does look nicer along their backs.

http://www.cornerstonefarm.net/wingdemo.html

4. ilovemuscovy

ilovemuscovy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2010
    Los Angeles
    what everybody said about waiting until they are about 10 weeks is true

personally, i don't clip their wings. they look very tattered when clipping is done. i just pull the primaries (which are the long feathers) on one wing. some may say it's painful for the duck.. blahblahblah. but the way i see it it's like getting a few hairs pulled from your head. painful for a few seconds but then the pain subsides.

OH and make sure you wait until the blood in the feathers has gone down to pull. if the little tube thing in the feather is dark that means DO not pull. if you pull a blood feather you can have a major bleeder which can kill your duck. and if you do happen to do this on accident... stick some sand in it.

5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Mine are now around 10 weeks and only 1 of my hens is starting to fly. definitely wait until the feathers are fully in before clipping, while they're still growing I would worry about clipping because of the amount of blood that is pumped into growing feathers.

6. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Quote:I HAD to pull Pin Feathers from one of my Chicken hens feet because they were growing in weird and ebcame infected. she did not seem bothered by it at all, just relieved. I also pulled any other un-infected pins from her feet/legs just to make sure they didn't cause problems, she also had no problems with that either & she was walkign better not long after [​IMG]

I don't think pulling a chickens feather is as painful as a human getting a nail pulled off...i have personal experience of that now and i KNOW my hen didn't hurt as bad as i was!! [​IMG]

7. MDC

MDC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    KS
    I, too, have pulled them, but the problem with that is that the feather begins to grow again and you have to do it more often. Clipping is only required once a year, after the molt.

8. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    I agree with clipping, once a year is a lot easier [​IMG]
    and I think the 'tattered' look is avoidable.

9. maggiemmm

maggiemmm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2010
    Kewadin area
    KOTH, you are very knowledgeable about Muskovies. In fact everyone probably knows more than I do ....[​IMG] This is the first set I have owned. ... or they own me??? The place where I bought them said the black and white one was a male hence Darkwing... she is a beauty!! Flipper however is twice her size. and the chocolate brown one is a female too from her size.Should I clip only the females wings? OR the male? We live on a lake a BIG lake ... we have had Pekins swim away before they got put in their coop at night. The calling duck ( Violet) we had flew .. but she was so attached to the Indian runner ( Rhianna) she would automatically return . Any ideas? I would appreciate any information you could give me. Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by