muscovy ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hunterjumper999, Jan 24, 2010.

1. hunterjumper999

hunterjumper999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2008
    Box Springs
    I did not order any this year- I had one bad experience with a very nasty drake last year ( he filet'd my finger with his claw) .

Would you all reccomend another go, with ducklings this time?

I'm thinking about hatching some out.

2. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Definantly!! Scovies IMO can be some of the best ducks. They have more vivid personalities and as long sa you hand raise them and have them imprint on you they can be VERY affectionate.

As for the claw attack - Well that just comes with owning ducks. I have scars all over my arms, hands, and stomach and thighs from duck claws. It just comes with the ownership [​IMG]

3. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

I'm going to disagree with Goat_Walker on this one. Muscovies drakes have CLAWS. I've never fully recovered the feeling in my pinky since a drake's claw pearced through leather gloves into the palm of my hand. You would probably have a different experience raising them from ducklings, but personally, I'm scared of those drake claws and have no more interest in them.

4. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Quote:True. I guess I just wasnt thinking when I posted, lol. My drakes claws are five times larger thean any of my other ducks. But ive gotten some nasty scars from mallard derived ducks as well. Id still say go for it though. I actually got ten scovie ducklings that were hand raised by inmates - Sweetest ducks Ive ever owned.

5. MDC

MDC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    KS

So, you know they have claws (as do cats) .... it's simply a matter of learning to handle them (as you do with cats).

First, why do you need to grab the bird? Muscovy generally herd well if you go about it the right way. Keep 'em on the ground under their own power, find yourself a nice long duck herding stick and move 'em as much as possible with it.

If you do have to carry a drake, wear gloves and leave the feet alone as much as possible. That is the only time I don't support the feet of a bird I'm carrying is when I carry drakes. (I like to support feet as it makes them feel more safe and secure and usually helps keep them calmer). I simply grab the wing near the body, one in each hand, and hold the bird as close to my body as I can. He'll flap a bit but by holding the joint he doesn't get much momentum and can't do much damage as he could if a wing got loose while you were carrying him around his body. I do this rarely as I move my birds on the ground as much as possible.

If you do want to hold the bird close to your body grab the feet and fold them together so that all of his toes are held together and wrap the foot around your hand. They can't do near as much digging with their feet held like this and it's less likely he'll accidentally scratch you. That's the key, I have yet to see a Muscovy attack a person with his claws intentionally. The claws are there to help with perching, not attacking. They're pretty much just present at the end of his toes and any scratch you get is a result of him trying to get away not so much trying to kill you.

This photo shows my niece holding a duck with the feet folded like I mentioned. I'm a fairly large (5'10") stout person and could not carry a drake like this where you use your arm to keep the wings pinned to the bird's side w/out having to use another hand.
    [​IMG]

FWIW ... I do not use gloves as a general rule as I dislike the loss of mobility but by all means, use gloves if you need to.

6. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Try again. IF you need to grab ahold of a Scovy, do as like MDC mentioned. I sold 18 to a lady and had to get them all put into traveling crates. I had at least half drakes and they were big 5 month olds. Grab their wings at the base, close in to the body and hold their feet OUT away fm you. They will kick but they can't scratch you. I've only gotten a few light scratches and mainly fm my girls when I was attempting to clip a wing by myself. Don't be afraid of them. You're boss.... the big duck/drake. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by