Muscovy Ducks And Chickens Do Not Mix

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Cowboy_Shamblin, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Cowboy_Shamblin

Cowboy_Shamblin Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2010
    Elk City
    This year some muscovy ducks flew into my black cochin pen and killed twelve of them, before I could remove them.

2. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Sorry for your loss. I have a black cochin who lives all the time in my muscovey pen. I think she thinks she is one. She is in love with the drake.

3. Caprice_Acres

Caprice_Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Michigan
    That's the oddest thing. I have about 30 of them - some protective moms/dads, young birds, etc - living alongside geese, chickens, Welsh Harlequin ducks, and guineas. Not a mean bone in their body. Are you sure it was the muscovies? I'm not even sure HOW they'd kill chickens. I've seen a past drake get in a fight with a rooster, but it quickly quieted down, no one was hurt. They even share feed. In general, if a hen pecks a hen/drake they make a startled quack noise and scuttle away.

Of course, my birds free range which is less stressful than a penned situation, especially with new arrivals. Lessens fighting dramatically.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  4. crperdue

crperdue Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2008
    Lake Waccamaw, NC
    Mine sure seem to get along quite fine.

[​IMG]

5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

My Muscovies live with my Bantam Cochins 24/7. Mine also free range as much as possible too but they do sleep together at night and some even brood together, they get along great and i have never had a problem in all the years i have had them.

I have had issues with Geese that weren't raised with other birds though, almost lost a couple Muscovy hens & a Leghorn Hen to some geese we adopted. thankfully they all pulled through.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  6. chicksbestfriend

chicksbestfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I have 16 scovies and they co exist wonderfully with my flock of chickens. They eat together, share their nests, and the ducks often go into the henhouse/run area for shade during the day while the chickens are foraging. The only time I have seen any conflict with the two is when I give them banana for treats, they all love them and the ducks will try to hiss off the chickens and the chickens will peck at their wings, but when treat time is over, they go back to co existing peacefully.

7. krazycricket21

krazycricket21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Roy
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mine get along great, but sorry for your loss!

My Silkie even helps raise the little guys.

[​IMG]

8. MysticalMom

MysticalMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    I'm thinking the same thing. I've never heard of muscovy doing anything like that. They'll live along side just about anything. Are you certain it was the muscovy that did it?

9. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    yhe, my muscoveys get along with my cochins ( mind you the cochins are taller then the 'scoveys as they are large fowl) along with bantam chickens.

10. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I have a rooster that thinks he's a duck and he use to get into fights with my male muscovy but they never were able to kill each other and they did try.

Were these chicks that were killed by them?

This is really strange to hear.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by