Muscovy ducks and eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jordilynn77, Aug 25, 2016.

1. jordilynn77

jordilynn77 New Egg

Aug 24, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    Hey everyone! First time duck owner. We got 2 ducklings in april with no mention of breed. They are now 5 months and I have come to the conclusion that they are french white muscovy ducks. They were raised with chicks and had initially shared the coop with them at night. Then they started roosting on the roof of the barn at night. Theh free range all day. Today I found a duck egg in the nesting box of the coop and one on the floor of the coop. Well tonight I went to shut the chickens in and noticed only one duck on the roof of the barn. We found the other underneath the coop, outside. Its not a safe spot for her to stay. Shes laying but there are no eggs. Why wouldn't she go in the coop? Could it be the roosters? Should we build her a separate duck house? Would she even use it?[​IMG]

2. jordilynn77

jordilynn77 New Egg

Aug 24, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    Plot twist. We just found an egg in the baby pool. No idea how long its been there. Water was changed this week. It was soft like a balloon. We shined a light and there was nothing in it. Was it water logged? Do you think she laid it there accidently? This is the first 3 eggs ever for them are they just working out the kinks?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by