Muscovy Ducks and Mess

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lfalle, Feb 18, 2011.

1. lfalle

lfalle New Egg

Nov 10, 2010
    Lake Charlotte
    Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to keep Muscovy away from my back door. I love them dearly but they are making such a mess. I have two small dogs and they are not afraid of them. One of my Muscovy likes to attack people and my dogs. Does anyone know why a duck would attack other animals or people? My 6 year old son actually has bruises from being bitten but still loves this duck. [​IMG]

2. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I feel bad saying this but you really need to get rid of that mean duck and/or replace him with a friendly one. I know people have tamed wild muscovies and I have had some that weren't too bad and gotten friendly but I've never had a mean one that quit being mean. Maybe someone else can pop in with a suggestion but that's just what I would do. I wouldn't put up with him trying to munch on the kid [​IMG]

3. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Did you feed them at the door?

If you did that's why they coming by the door.

Looking for food.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have 8 Muscovies and never had one bite or try to bite a human child or adult. the girls have tried to snap at the dogs bottoms as they go by but my drakes are very calm, From what I have heard they can hurt pretty bad when biting . Maybe put some kind of portable fence up across the entrance to your back door. And not hand feed the one thats mean that may be why.

5. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Tom, a certain muscovy drake I know, will sometimes bite people's hands because he can't see and most people feed him by hand, so if he sees a hand he will bite towards it. He doesn't bite hard and will come up to you and stand on your feet if he thinks he's going to get fed. Not a mean duck at all, very gentle and friendly, but likes to eat junk food. He will even go up to people getting out of their cars to get food in the parking lot at the lake because people will feed him there.

Best thing to do is feed him somewhere else or put a barrier up to prevent him from going there.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Boy thats for sure not a safe place for a duck thats almost blind...

7. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Quote:Oh, I meant for the OP's duck.

I can't do much with Tom because he's feral except try to feed him somewhere else. He's quick to catch on to new things, but stubborn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by