Muscovy Ducks Candling questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Nolan Farms, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Nolan Farms

Nolan Farms New Egg

Jul 8, 2011
    I have them in a hovabator, I am interested in making sure none of the potential duds, explode all over my incubator. So I have candled them. But I am finding that the development is not as easy to track as I had hoped. When using everyone's chicken egg candling photos, (thank you for those btw), it occures to me that since the Muscovy Duck is a long 35-38 day hatcher that the development would be along the same lines as a chicken. They would be slower to develop. I just want to make sure that I don't toss out slower developing eggs too soon, thinking that they are duds...when actually...they are just slower then most other ducks or chickens. Does anyone have any photos of the egg embryo progression in Muscovies when candled?

Also I am considering taking photos of the candled eggs and posting here so maybe some of you more expierenced eggers can help me. Is it easy to post photos here?

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    If you can see veins when you candle the developing duckling is alive inside the egg. If you see no veins in an egg after 10 days- it has not started to develop and you can remove the egg. It is unlikely that an egg would explode in just ten days of incubation- but it can happen if there is a small hairline crack - which may be visible when candling also. Watch for any that ooze - that can also be a sign of a crack- and a bad egg.

3. 9gerianMile

9gerianMile Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Western MT
    I have pictures of mine on day 7... if you'd like I can post them?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  4. 9gerianMile

9gerianMile Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Western MT
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by