Muscovy ducks..clipping wings??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by H04, Aug 16, 2010.

1. H04

H04 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    How many weeks/months old should they be when you cut their wings for the first time? How often? How will I know? ( other then if they started to fly)

2. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

You can clip them as soon as their flight feathers are grown in & you will need to clip them after every molt, when they regrow them.

I only clip about 10 feathers on ONE side, it makes them lopsided so they can't fly, but you can clip both sides. There are also different styles/ways you can clip... I sold two girls to a local lady a couple weeks ago and recnelty went to her place to clip their wings since they started flying and did a full clip on 1 girl and the other girl had a "cute" white feather on the end so i did just a beauty clip on her.

The 'beauty clip' makes it look like they still have natural wings (until they flap anyway)
    A 'full clip' makes their wing/wings look very short.

I leave all my birds natural because they free range, but when i have had to clip i only clip one wing and do either a full clip or beauty clip. I also always try to clip as evenly as possible, just because it looks nicer.

ETA: I think my girls were about 5-6months old when they realized they could fly

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  3. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Here's a really simple picture to help you. This is what I call a "Full Clip"..... A "Beauty Clip" is when you leave the first 2 flight feathers.

[​IMG]

4. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

We clipped our ducks at about 4 months since it looked like they were starting to hop longer and longer distances and testing out their wings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by