Muscovy Ducks - couple questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SundownWaterfowl, Apr 27, 2009.

1. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Im thinking about getting some muscovy ducks.

I want to use the hens for broody hens. When do they start laying and going broody, (the next spring after they hatch)?

Are they friendly? Are they easy to keep and raise? Are they easy to hatch?

Thanks, [​IMG]

2. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:Mine just started laying last week, which is pretty late. I guess last year they started a month earlier.I dont know how old the girls are but the drake turns 1 today. Happy Birthday Pumpkin. So the should start the spring after they hatched. Mine are more or less freindly, they drake is friendlier because i raised him, the girls are from a farm with less of human contact. If you get them as babies they will be nice. Mine are super easy keepers, all they need is some shelter, food and water. You will do best buying hatchlings as they are pretty tricky in the incubator, i tried twice and failed.
    I know that there are other members who will have ducklings in a few weeks, i mean besides me. Or go to www.countryhatchery.com

3. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I want to use the hens for broody hens. When do they start laying and going broody, (the next spring after they hatch)? Mine hatched out in August and have been laying really good since the end of Feb. They have been broody already but went unbroody when I stole the eggs to move them to a safer place. I just ended up putting the eggs in the 'bator. A friend of mine says they love haylofts but then the ducklings would hatch out, fall down, and die [​IMG] so that is why I moved my broody's nest. I am going to put chicken wire up there later on so they can't get up there and hopefully they will go broody again in a safer place.

Are they friendly? YES [​IMG] Esp. ones that you hatch yourself. The one I got from a sale barn will come near me but she won't let me pick her up and carry her around like my home grown ones will. I call them my puppy dogs.

Are they easy to keep and raise? Yes
    Are they easy to hatch? Yes. They just take longer than other duck eggs. I've only had a few eggs quit on me in the 'bator.

4. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mine are pretty friendly but I've had some nasty drakes. If you imprint/raise them yourself, they should be fine. Also, not all lines are broody. I've NEVER had a chocolate pied that has been broody. Only my black/whites want to sit & hatch babies. Don't know why...

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:My light chocolate female laid an eg this morning. Well atleast she came running from under the the stairs.
    Oh and get the females either pinioned or clip the wing feathers, they are flyers but not migratory.

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Thank you all! Im going to a swap tomorrow, so wish me luck. [​IMG] Hope somebody has some ducklings for sale. [​IMG]

7. KellyandKatie

KellyandKatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    they are sweeties! but around mating season the drakes can be not so sweet
    good luck tomm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by