Muscovy ducks lasted about 1 hour

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Lonomakana, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Lonomakana

Lonomakana Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2008
    Pa'auhau, Hawaii
    What a bummer. One of my co-workers dropped off a mom and 12 ducklings at my house today. I let them go in the backyard which I thought was pretty well fenced in. It only took them an hour to escape and run down into the gulch behind my house. Maybe they'll come back. They don't have a chance against the mongoose and wild pigs in the gulch. Hmmmm

2. lost

lost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2008
    ,nc
    wish you luck [​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I just Google Earthed your little town. TINY! Looks like there are two "gulches" ... one on the east and one on the west that flow north into the Pacific. What a beautiful place to live. I hear on Maui that there are wild chickens everywhere... what about on the big island?

4. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Why, those ungrateful, sneaky little durn ducks!!! ~:[

5. Lonomakana

Mar 29, 2008
    Pa'auhau, Hawaii
    Yes, Pa'auhau is tiny. It used to be a sugar plantation camp. We have lots of fighting cocks here but the local kids hadn't ever seen hens or fresh eggs until my next door neighbor got some layers. On google earth, my house is on the gulch, near the end of the second street from the top. There's a big mango tree out back that shows up. I think momma duck didn't like the cats hanging out. They know not to mess with the birds, though.

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Is your roof orange or brown?

I think I found it... Big tree!

7. Lonomakana

Mar 29, 2008
    Pa'auhau, Hawaii
    I guess it would be brown. Its between the orange and white roofs. I got a new grey roof now and there is a new house across the street, so these images are at least 3 years old. My house was built in 1930 and was bachelor's quarters for Filipino cane workers. 4 bedrooms 1 bath squeezed into 880 sq ft! I've done a load of work on it. My mango tree (50ft) literally lays a carpet of mangos on the ground, and gives fruit from about May to January. The gulch is steep and drops about 200 ft.. In the winter, there's a swimming hole.

No sign of the ducks. Right now, the wild pigs are poking around next door. Dang, those ducklings were so cute.

8. Lonomakana

Mar 29, 2008
    Pa'auhau, Hawaii
    Oh, regarding wild fowl/game birds. Yes, there are wild jungle fowl, but Kaua'i is the island that is famous for them (no mongoose there). We see a lot of wild turkey, chukar partridge, erkle's Frankolin, and ringneck pheasant around here.

9. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    This thread's making me homesick - I used to live in Kailua on Oahu, but Kauai was my favorite island. I'd love to come help you look for your ducks. [​IMG]

10. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    Wild Pigs! Bacon Bacon Bacon I smell bacon. Hope they come back tho, good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by