Muscovy Ducks laying egss for first time but i'm not sure which one is laying eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Steve TY, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Steve TY

Steve TY Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2013
    I have two Muscovy ducks around a year old and this is the first time i have seen eggs. The problem is im not sure which one is laying eggs. I have one black with perfect feathers and a gray with not so great feathers both are close to the same size i can't tell them apart to sex them. The gray one doesn't move around like the black one lately and im not sure if the gray is laying eggs. i have read everything on the net with no luck. We now have three eggs but i never seen either one near the eggs. When I enter the pen the black one starts to ruffle its feathers and bob head around and the gray just sits in the corner and doesnt move just wags its tail sitting there. I'm worried i might have two females and only one is laying since its cold here in canada and im not sure if i should take the eggs away. Or i have a pair and I can't tell who is laying. Thanks in advance.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Can you post some pics by 1 yr you should be able to tell if you have a drake by size alone, he will be very large compared to your duck, and also alot more carnucles on his face, he will hiss and she will make high trilling noises. Duck eggs are tasty and also make awesome baked goods. no need to leave the eggs till warmer weather if you want ducklings. she'll continue to lay through spring and summer.

And [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  3. Steve TY

Mar 4, 2013
    Thanks for the reply. Well thats the thing the bigger black one with awesome feathers of the two has more carnucles on its face but makes the trill noise and the gray one with rough looking feathers and bare under wings and not as much carnucles on face and a little smaller makes that breath noise when sitting. I will try and get pics up soon as i'm new to this.

4. Steve TY

Mar 4, 2013
    [​IMG][​IMG][/IMG]

5. Steve TY

Mar 4, 2013
    [​IMG]

6. Mi Ranchito

Mi Ranchito Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    I can't wait till my Muscovy start laying...they seem to go into the nests and rests there, but no eggs yet...I can only imagine they are getting ready though! [​IMG]

7. Steve TY

Mar 4, 2013
    I have thinking about leaving the eggs just to see who will sit on them and then i might have a clue to go by. but im concerned that the black is the female and the gray might be a bit sick? because of the not moving much lately. still gets up and eats and drinks but not near as active as the black one and would rather sit and stay inside more than the other.

8. Steve TY

Mar 4, 2013
    Is there any behavior i should look for before they get ready to lay?

9. Steve TY

Mar 4, 2013
    Any help would be great. Still not sure what to do?

10. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Well, i am in Canada, what province are you? I'm in On. Are the birds the same age? sorry the pics are a bit blurry making it hard to tell, it does appear like one is larger than the other. Usually, the drake sizing is quite obvious.

I actually have a Muscovy with a nest due next week, to give an idea... she made a little nest(in other words piled up the bedding) and kept laying eggs in it, now we kept taking them but one day she was on them later, so i waited pulled them later in the day.. after a few more day she sat, so i quit lol Then she pulled feathers... and that meant she was serious about this.

They will usually lay what they want to sit on, which can vary.. as of our last ability to check we saw 5 eggs, whether there is more? hard to say, she's like a bulldog so best not to duke it out with her.

See this is her lol..

[​IMG]

Basically i have found, if they are not serious they just lay and leave... but leaving a few eggs set in a nest for a few days will usually tell you, if they are headed into that direction. I noticed today, our Lilly was on two eggs this morning, i took them... one birdy having babies is enough, we're still pretty cold.

That said, if you don't have a drake there will be little point in encouraging brooding, unless you have some fertile eggs you wish to use.

I own drakes here so there is always the possibility of fertile eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by