Muscovy ducks mating my chickens!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by littlebanty, Dec 30, 2007.

1. littlebanty

littlebanty Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 2 male muscovy ducks and 1 female pekin duck. I have 15 chickens. Both the male ducks chase down only this one hen I have and hold her down and they do their thing. I have yet to shee them show interest in the others. Is this normal? They NEVER show any type of interest in the pekin and she is the one ALWAYS the one trying to instigate that she is ready. Are my ducks just confused? They grew up from babies with the hens and maybe thats it. They think they are a rooster?[​IMG]

2. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I dont know if it is normal..but my huge scovy drake goes after only one of my 20 hens.....weird isnt it.? I just worry he will hurt her as he is not the kindest lover in the flock :eek:

3. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    well you may breed some duckins. turkens where bred by mixing tukery and chickens right lol. Gives a whole new term for turducken!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2007
  4. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG] turducken

5. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    I have 2 male ducks 1 femaleduck - my two males were raised with the chickens and they were fine for awhile until they thought they would romance the chickens !!
    So I had to build a yard with a small shelter and thier pool they can still see the chickens and talk to them ( and everyonce in awhile they will try to grab one through the fence until my roo starts to get mad at them )
    It works better this way - no chickens get hurt my male duck is now breeding with the female duck and all is well in the yard again LOL

Julie

6. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    We separated our scovy drakes, Gumby and Mobert from the rest of the flock due to their aggressive mating style last spring and summer. They were quite happy on their own. When they started molting in the early fall, we let them in with the rest of the flock because they weren't interested in mating.

7. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    yes Muscovys will mate anything. best to separate them, those drakes can get heavy.

8. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    i know somone whose birds were killed by two aggressie muscovies ganging up. eek

9. billson1

billson1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2007
    lecenter minnesota
    yes muscovies will even breed geese and they have killed them,so i would seperate them from all other birds

10. gila_dog

gila_dog Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2007
    New Mexico
    I had some tame mallards once (Rouens?). One drake was such a pervert, I saw him trying to get it on with a basketball. He would work and work, trying to get on top of it, and it would just roll away. It took him a while to give up on it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by