1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Muscovy Ducks Nesting Habits

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by wstowe1210, Jun 2, 2016.

1. wstowe1210

wstowe1210 New Egg

Feb 3, 2015
    Good afternoon everyone, has anyone ever noticed Muscovy females chasing other females from a nest. I have a female that just hatched eggs a week or so ago and has since chased another younger female from her own nest. She seems to have abandoned the eggs which is sad because she has been sitting on them for almost 3 weeks. Anyone care to chime in? Thank you

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    @Miss Lydia

has Muscovy experience, as does @Going Quackers

and @Scovy Momma

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    My female Scovys will not tolerate another female around their nest when they are brooding one reason that we built stalls when we built our duck house not only does it keep the drakes from fighting when locked up at night but also gives the girls a quiet all their own place to brood and hatch. Seems the lower in pecking order females are the ones who get chased off. It would be best if you can to give your lower ranking girls a place away from the other ducks to brood and hatch and stay for at least a week after hatch. Once ducklings hatch they need at least a week to get their legs under them good and get use to their moms voice so they can make it better once around the rest of the flock.

1 person likes this.
  4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Yep. Muscovy females are actually pretty aggressive, even though most only speak of of the drakes. As ML said they are rather territorial, most of my ladies find their own out of the way areas to brood, some of my older stock has been known to brood more closely but typically this is not the case.

FWIW, 1 scovie right now is in the bantam chicken barn, one under a plow, one in my calf hutch in my ewe pen... one in a big dog house, another in a cat box.. and finally one more is under some skid lol.

1 person likes this.
  5. bantamrooster

bantamrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2014
    We've never had that issue. Got two brooding right next to each other now and last year we had two sharing one big clutch.
    Now our mallards dont like others or us close to their nests. They'll puff up, hiss and charge you.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by