1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Muscovy ducks roosting.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by quails-101, Jun 18, 2016.

1. quails-101

quails-101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2016
    I went out to check on my birds in the bird barn and up in the rafter with my two turkeys and guinea fowl were 5 muscovy ducks I didn't know they could roost on a two by four two inches facing up I know they like to sleep up high because some times they sleep on the loft they mostly do sleep on the ground but I was amazed I didn't think ducks had that good of balance with their webbed feet I usually keep their wings clipped to keep them from getting on the cars and they are surprisingly awsome flyers they don't fly like normal ducks they don't flap their wings fast they mostly glide and they can hover.

2. lcertuche

lcertuche Chillin' With My Peeps

Muscovies are called tree ducks because they like to roost up high in trees. They are suppose to have claws on their webs for this purpose. I would love to have some.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have 7 Muscovy's and only 1 that likes to go into the chickens coop to sleep because she likes to roost.

4. quails-101

Apr 16, 2016
    Muscovy ducks have huge claws especially the males my two males have bigger claws than my boxer. I have 6 muscovy ducks all together I sold my three khaki ducks and 5 calling ducks.

5. kconners

kconners New Egg

Jun 15, 2016
    My ducks likes to sleep in the dog house that has a door flap

6. quails-101

Apr 16, 2016
    One of my muscovy ducks went missing about a week ago and I followed her back by the woods and I have a dead tree stump about 4 feet high and its hollow right next to a river I live on the grand river and she flew up on the top of the stump and jumped in so I walked up to it and she has a nest all lined with feathers and grass it looks very cozy. Now of coarse I have three ducks laying on eggs one with 15, one with 8 and the one in the tree has 11 look what I'm gonna be selling I wish my ruffed grouse would lay like this.

7. lcertuche

lcertuche Chillin' With My Peeps

I heard that Muscovies live to be mama's and that they overtake parks and such because of this. They quickly increase which is good if you want them for meat. They sell for a pretty penny which is why I don't have any (yet) so maybe you can make a few dollars when they hatch.

8. quails-101

Apr 16, 2016
    Yea I was thinking about selling the chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by