Muscovy ducks spitting up

Muscovygirl426

In the Brooder
Jan 22, 2017
My female who is roughly 7 months old jus spit up brown liquid. We noticed the male was doing the same thing a few minutes prior. He is about a year and a half. Their diet consists of crumble feed and what they forage for. Every now and then I give them greens from the store. They seem healthy in all other sense. She spit up when I was trying to pick her up and put her in the Hut with the other female who has been picking on her. The male was doing it when our dog was sniffing him. Is this something I should be worried about or is it something they did because of stress. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

My female who is roughly 7 months old jus spit up brown liquid. We noticed the male was doing the same thing a few minutes prior. He is about a year and a half. Their diet consists of crumble feed and what they forage for. Every now and then I give them greens from the store. They seem healthy in all other sense. She spit up when I was trying to pick her up and put her in the Hut with the other female who has been picking on her. The male was doing it when our dog was sniffing him. Is this something I should be worried about or is it something they did because of stress. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sounds like with the one you picked up that can happen we push on the belly and crop area and water/food comes back up and stress can make it happen too. As long as they are eating good and acting healthy other wise. Just keep a closer eye on them to make sure it doesn't keep happening.
@Muscovygirl426 Welcome to BYC

This happens every once in a while to all of my Muscovys sometimes they drink way too much because they haven't drink enough earlier. So they just end up puking it up. Sometimes it's after I pick them up. Make sure they have constant access to water, if you have to put out multiple buckets throughout the yard so they don't dehydrate . Ducks dehydrated so quickly.

They have access to water everywhere lol. They have a pond in the yard and a few bowls through out. As long as it's nothing serious all is good then. Just never seen them. Do. It before.
263a.png
thanks though

Well that's a good thing that you haven't seen him do before if it's something that is happening for a long period of time and very often than I would look into it. It's pretty common amongst my ducks. Maybe happens every few weeks to a month.

Hi there ....Good Morning

I am a mommy to two two Muscovy ducks. Pollito is almost two ( DOB 2/5/15) and Pio is going to be a year in March (DOB 3/7/2016) Both were orphaned and we raised them since they were born. You can imagie how super spoiled they are. Well they both have done the spitting up thing and my two chickens, Gigi and Sunny do the same from time to time - not often but I have seen them all do it.

I think its not unusual and they all eat and drink and swim in the pool ( the duckies do) chickens only drinl water but think the ducks are weird going in the pool.lol.

I do have a question about eggs and Duck laying the eggs ....sometimes Pio has a hard time and looks like it takes her longer to lay then Pollito - any thing I can do to make this process easier for her.

All the issues I have ever seen in two years have come from the whole egg laying process. any suggestions will help.

Thank you and have a great day
Irene

My muscovies love swimming haha.
For the ducks laying eggs I don't think it's a weird thing that one takes longer. All ducks are different some of my duck have never cared for even sitting on eggs meanwhile some of my ducks that's all they want to do .
The one thing I always suggest keeping an eye on is if they are sitting to lay but never laying . It's not super common but it is a problem and could mean that they have a blockage . But as long as the egg is coming out I wouldn't worry. Now I am not an expert I have had Muscovy ducks only and I have only had them for 4 or so years. But I have 9 so I have seen a lot of things lol

Thank you for your reply. I am taking Pio for a check up tomorrow. She is a fatty but she a bit more lazy than normal and I rather have peace of mind. We are in Miami so they also love swimming in the pool. We keep the pool clean but mostly have the least amount of chemicals just to keep water levels good but keeping on mind they love to swim. Will let you all know what pur vet said. Have a great weekend Pollito and Pio mommy Irene

Thank you for your reply. I am taking Pio for a check up tomorrow. She is a fatty but she a bit more lazy than normal and I rather have peace of mind. We are in Miami so they also love swimming in the pool. We keep the pool clean but mostly have the least amount of chemicals just to keep water levels good but keeping on mind they love to swim. Will let you all know what pur vet said. Have a great weekend Pollito and Pio mommy Irene
Over weight ducks can have problems laying so it will be a good thing to have her checked out.
please let us know what the vet says. and Welcome to BYC @PollitolovesPio

Here we go again. This is my second round of overall weakness with Pio I went through it with pollito. Pio went to the vet today had blood work done and we will get results tomorrow morning. She was so bad I thought I was going to lose her. Just like I thought when pollito got sick. For the life of me I don't know what happens to them around laying. They are eating high protien quality food fruit and veggies and yet I experience this twice. It's a night mare to see her falling over but she is on batrly. An antibiotic which I didn't spell correctly. Well she is weak we are praying pls keep her in your prayers I will tell u all the results of her labs. Irene

Back
Top Bottom