Muscovy Ducks vs. Domestic Ducks

kenzietee

Chirping
Feb 12, 2018
Indiana
Title is pretty self explanatory. Just curious as to what the main differences are between muscovies and domestic ducks. I know they look very different and are an entirely different species. Are they primarily meat birds, or do they lay eggs well like some ducks? What are some pros and cons of muscovies as well? Just curious because I think they look SO cool! Like true dinosaur birds! :love

Muscovies are domestic ducks first of all. I think the title needs to be changed to 'Mallard domestic ducks vs Muscovies'.

Muscovies are a utility breed of duck which is as you said domesticated from a different species. Drakes make excellent meat birds and ducks can be used as brooders as they go broody extremely well. Also ducks lay a good amount of eggs in a year.

Mallard domestic ducks have multiple breeds which have different uses for example, khaki Campbell's are used for laying purposes, Mallards are used for meat, etc.

Title is pretty self explanatory. Just curious as to what the main differences are between muscovies and domestic ducks. I know they look very different and are an entirely different species. Are they primarily meat birds, or do they lay eggs well like some ducks? What are some pros and cons of muscovies as well? Just curious because I think they look SO cool! Like true dinosaur birds! :love

Do you have “mallard domestic ducks” ?
If you do and you’re thinking about getting muscovies, DONT mix the two. Oh the nightmares I had when my Muscovy drakes started violently “Raping” my other ducks. When I noticed blood and bald patches on my Rouen drake I knew it was time to get rid of my muscovies. Now that I think about it, I should of housed them separately!

This is from my experience, others may be different.

I do have mallard domestic ducks! I was more curious as to why people kept muscovies but after reading more here and online I can see why people would! We don't have room for muscovies but they seem very interesting!

I love my Muscovy’s they have really great personalities they are quite and if your into having multiple clutches of duckling a season you can’t go wrong with the Muscovy. Mine have done extremely well with the Runners and Buffs they hatched here in 2016. My scovy drake has never attempted to mate any other female but his on scovy females and has never had an argument with the Runner drake . When I had only Muscovydrakes they couldn’t even be in the same vicinity with each other.

Back
Top Bottom