Muscovy ducks, What is a good male/ female ratio to keep?

kountryboy4life

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 26, 2013
Tomahawk, Wisconsin
I currently acquired 13 Muscovys. I used to rais them when i was younger. I know that the boys can get a bit rough on the poor little girls. I have 8 ducks and 5 drakes. I will be keeping all the girls. How many of the drakes should I keep ?

I would personally just keep 2,
I had 3 drakes and 1 female last year and the poor girl constantly had one on her back, and they were harassing the chooks too.

I'd almost say 1 lol but you could manage two IF they get on okay. Here is where things get odd in my experience, i have ran two drakes for a long time, i found they fought quite often and i separate at night for housing.

This past year i have overage of drakelets from the hatches... things are calmer with them here, i don't get that but that's what i am seeing, there are 7 drakes in my flock of 20( will also add two of those ducks are Buffs not scovies but females lol) Not saying it's all peaches and cream and it's not they aren't of breeding age, all my drakes with the exception of one from this year are breeding with ducks.

All the drakes here are related in some way from this years hatch so maybe? that helps, the two main guys are not. So that's my dynamics and experience, good luck!

Forgot, not saying in general drakes won't bother hens it's a real concern but my drakes don't touch my hens, period. They all free range(housed separate tho) too much i think for them to manage with their own flock lol

Last edited:
Thank you guys ! All of them are young. (hatched this spring) And i notice that when i let them out in the evenings for a bit. they all sort of stay in there little flocks within the big flock. I have a black and white,two black,and two lavender drakes. The black and white will be going. He is a jerk already. I don't even want to see what he is like come spring.lol... I will for sure be keeping a lavender and a black i think.
smile.png

New bee here
1f603.png
we have 4 girls and 2 boys and thAt worked well. We did have problems with the one male being "outed" but after they had a few ducklings that male got a buddy! So now 3 males and 7 girls.

I would agree and say 2-3 drakes. If you see them separating into their own flocks, then try to keep 1 male for each "flock".
I have some groups of 1 male, 2 females. Some groups of 1 male, 1 female. and some groups of 1 male, 4-5 females. It all depends on the ducks.

But you do want to weed out the aggressive males. That is a trait that will pass on to the young so if you want nice pet ducks, then only use the friendly ones for breeding.
I currently have 3 males and 9 females (adults) and another 4 females and 1 male I am growing out for breeding. I have never had a problem with drakes fighting but I have heard that they can. But I've been breeding muscovy for almost 7 years and never once had an issue with fighting

I have 2 males and 3 females I have a feeling that there gonna fight the over the extra female come spring so Im gonna try to buy another female soon so if anybody has a female for sale im looking!!
wink.png

I have 2 males and 3 females I have a feeling that there gonna fight the over the extra female come spring so Im gonna try to buy another female soon so if anybody has a female for sale im looking!!
wink.png
You might want to get in touch with kuntrygirl she is closer to your neck of the woods and she has a lot of Scovy's, great ratio is 3-5 ducks per drake good is at least 2-3 ducks per drake.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom