1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Muscovy Ducks Wings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckWrangler16, Sep 1, 2011.

1. DuckWrangler16

DuckWrangler16 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2011
    I recently bought a few Muscovies at our local fur and feather. They all began nesting within the first weeks or so of bringing them home. I had one hen hatch out of the first nest and she has grown very strange wings. I have pictures and wondering if anyone could add insite. Also I apologize for any error this is my first post.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. shakti2u

shakti2u Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2011
    Sedro Woolley, WA
    I think it's a birth defect. Sorry. I've never seen wings like that. But, it shouldn't hurt unless she has birth defects in her egg producing parts. I've had muscovies for 5 years.

Sylvia

3. Czech's_chicks

Czech's_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Vista, CA
    Could be angle wing - gently fold them into the body as they are supposed to be and tape them down with duct tape. Tape just the wing to the top portion of the body, the dorsal side so it can still walk. You will have to cut it off, but this should help the wings form properly. CUT DOWN on the protein they are getting too. That is the #1 cause of angel wing.

4. DuckWrangler16

Sep 1, 2011
    Ok thank you. We had a hold of her the other day and it didnt seem to hurt her when we moved them around. I will try taping them up the begining of next week she is a very pretty girl and i would hat to get rid of her:(

5. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
  6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Kinda looks like angel wing. What is the amount of protein that you're feeding them?

7. DuckWrangler16

Sep 1, 2011
    They are eating a Duck and Goose Ration. It is 20% crude protien but they are not get very much when all is said done. Between the 10 of them they get a scoop that says "200g" on it once a day

8. ian4379

ian4379 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Australia
    i have read that angel wing can be gentetics as well as a feed issue, just done breed from them.

9. hugs818

hugs818 New Egg

Oct 20, 2013
    hi im seanna i got a muscovy duck about 7 weeks ago and its wings are like that i have serched to see what the problem is but i have found nothing when i look at its wings it looks fine pulled out just when she puls her wings in it looks like that i i fined anything out i will mesage you thanks[​IMG]

10. hugs818

hugs818 New Egg

Oct 20, 2013
    hi im seanna i got a muscovy duck about 7 weeks ago and its wings are like that i have serched to see what the problem is but i have found nothing when i look at its wings it looks fine pulled out just when she puls her wings in it looks like that i i fined anything out i will mesage you thanks[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by