Muscovy Ducks with other Breeds ok? - Photos Included

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by opheliarose, Sep 4, 2014.

1. opheliarose

opheliarose Out Of The Brooder

Hi Guys!

I just acquired a free female Muscovy off Gumtree which is an Australian version of Craigslist, wanting to buy some other breeds like an Indian Runner (females too) and this is probably a silly questions but would they all get along together?

Here is a picture of her, my poser Harry the Rooster wanted to get in the shot too, for a bit of fun I'd love to see a picture of your ducks too any breed! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Welcome, opheliarose!

I have runners. They are perhaps less than half the size of Muscovies, so I would be cautious about adding breeds that are so much smaller simply because if there is a tiff - and there can be - someone is more likely to get hurt, I feel.

I would consider another larger breed, like Pekin, or Rouen. Your girl is a beauty!

3. opheliarose

Ah got ya, fair enough. Don't want anyone to get bullied. Will have to look into Pekings, we don't get many Rouens here, unless a show breeder get them. Thanks Amiga

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Maybe, no guarantees, Personally i too like Amiga prefer to only go within a size for breeds to avoid any risk, so considering Muscovy are large waterfowl i wouldn't go smaller than medium. That all said depends on the birds personalities.

A friend of mine who owns some of my Muscovy has her calls and them free ranging they get on fine... whereas for myself i only have buffs(medium breed) and Pekin with mine(my calls are separate) My Muscovy prefer their own kind, they are not in the least interested in the quacking fools.. so i would get at least one more Muscovy and then go from there, what are you able to get there??

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    If you have the space and energy, you could run more than one flock.

6. opheliarose

Never heard of Amiga or Calls before! Can you send me a picture of yours?

We mainly have Indian Runners, Muscovies and Pekings in Western Australia
    Some Rouens but like I said previously they are usually owned by show breeders not small backyard farms

She is getting on really well with the chickens now, they have accepted her as part of the flock and she has been sleeping in their shed the last few nights, the first 3 nights she slept in another old dog kennel I made up for her as she was quite shy.

Nice idea Amiga, that's something in the 'maybe in the next 5 years' box ;)

7. Frank Phinster

Frank Phinster Chillin' With My Peeps

I am keeping muscovies and runners together and they get along very well.
    The muscovies are more dominant than the runners and occasionally assert their dominance by pecking at the runners when they are in the way, but not aggressivly and the scovies do never chase the runners. Actually, my muscovies are more aggressive towards each other than to the runners. Sometimes they all forage together as one large flock, sometimes they split up in groups.

Over the course of the last year, I introduced two new runners to my flock, and every time the muscovies welcomed the newcomer with headbobbig and tailwagging and inspected him or her very closely without any sign of aggression.

So in conclusion, muscovies and runners can work out, but should they not get along, the runners would not have much means to fight back.

Furthermore, I have made the experience that a single muscovie along mallard derived ducks can be quite lonely because the others do not respond to its commuication attempts and, although not actively expelled from the flock, gets somewhat isolated.
    So before aquiring any other breed, I would get more muscovies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by