Muscovy ducks

Barb28

In the Brooder
May 15, 2018
Leyburn, Queensland, Australia
We have two muscovy ducks living with our chooks in the shed close to the house. They are out all day and locked up over night .
We have a large dam approximately 300 meters away from the house. My partner suggested to bring the two ducks out there.
My question: would they be ok out there on their own? Or would they even come back at night time?
Thanks

We have two muscovy ducks living with our chooks in the shed close to the house. They are out all day and locked up over night .
We have a large dam approximately 300 meters away from the house. My partner suggested to bring the two ducks out there.
My question: would they be ok out there on their own? Or would they even come back at night time?
Thanks
It depends on a few things:
1. Were they hand reared near the coop, and already go into it at night?
2. Is the dam in view of the coop?
3. Are they fed frequently in/around the coop?
Answer these and I can give you a good idea of wether or not they'll come home.

My personal opinion is no. There are many predators that would just love a muscovy duck, and leaving them in a place they have never even been too is just too risky.

They were not hand raised. Got them how they are a few months ago.
They get fed in the shed every night and locked up.
you cant see the dam from the house....too many trees in between.

They would just love the dam....

It depends on a few things:
1. Were they hand reared near the coop, and already go into it at night?
2. Is the dam in view of the coop?
3. Are they fed frequently in/around the coop?
Answer these and I can give you a good idea of wether or not they'll come home.

My personal opinion is no. There are many predators that would just love a muscovy duck, and leaving them in a place they have never even been too is just too risky.

If you want to keep them safe get a big kiddie pool Muscovies are great around the house eat all kinds of bugs and make great pets. I have a mountain river down below my home and would never let my Muscovies or my other birds venture down there too many trees and way to many predators. :welcome It's about a football field length from the house to the river. Just not safe.

Back
Top Bottom