1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Muscovy ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bee_wrangler, Dec 7, 2009.

1. bee_wrangler

bee_wrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Can anyone tell me about Muscovy ducks? I am thinking of getting a couple but would like to know if they winter well, and if they would be good with my chickens. Also, if they are good eating. I have never had ducks before so I don't know much about duck breeds.

2. Le Canard de Barbarie

Le Canard de Barbarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Quote:Muscovy is quite delicious. My preference is to saute the breasts in such a way that it is quite similar to filet mignon. Lately I've been experimenting with various sausage recipes that make use of the duck's liver, gizzard, heart, legs and thighs. The remaining carcass sans lungs and intestines is ground up raw for dog food.

Pekin is also another good meat duck.

3. MDC

MDC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    KS
    You can check out my website for some information about Muscovy; the link is in my signature.

They taste different than your average mallard derivative duck which for some is a bonus and for others not so much. Personal preference at it's finest!

4. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    Mine do fine with the chickens. I live in Ky so It gets cold, and they did fine with that too!! Very goods moms!!!

5. bee_wrangler

bee_wrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Thanks for the replies! I just picked them up, I will post some pics of them after [​IMG]

6. priss

priss Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    Ooooh Yes Please. Pictures Please!
    Xxxxx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by