Muscovy ducks...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Cara, May 5, 2008.

1. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Are they any harder to hatch than other breeds? I can't find them at any hatchery [​IMG] Does anyone have any eggs?

2. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I've heard from some ppl that they are harder to hatch but I've never hatched any. Have you tried McMurray? They only sell muscovies as eggs so you could get them there.

3. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Thanks for the tip. They're $48 a dozen though :eek:

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

5. SimplyAbundantFarm

SimplyAbundantFarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2008
    JM Hatchery (www.jmhatchery.com) will have them starting in June. Their minimum order is 15 ducks and they are $4.50 apiece with free shipping.

I just got 100 broiler chicks from them a few weeks ago and could not be more pleased with them.

6. fowlfriends

fowlfriends Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2007
    Battle Ground, Wa
    Quote:That is VERY tempting. I cannot find white muscovies around here.

I have heard that using an incubator, to expect 50% hatch with muscovy eggs - but I have never tried it, and hopefully the info I got was wrong. With my ducks setting on the eggs, I average about 90% hatch rate. They incubate approx 1 week longer than other ducks.

7. Zack717

Zack717 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2008
    I live in Vancouver, WA and found my Muscovy ducklings on Craigslist from a place in Ridgefield. I thought of going online but found the local instant gratification instead:) Good luck!!!

8. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Brenda from Austin town just sold me some on friday. She had a pretty awesome hatchrate under her momma duck. She has some cute duckies and might even sell a few more to people who are willing to pick up.

9. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    Thanks Connie!
    I have a great hatch rate, but I use the Momma ducks! I just had 21 out of 22 hatch on the 27-28 of April. It takes 35-37 days for the to hatch!
    I have never sold or shipped eggs, but would be willing to try, I will say my Muscovies are not show quality. I Raise them for meat and for eggs.
    So far my fertility rate is good, out of 37 eggs only 2 did not have embryos and 1 developed but didn't hatch!
    I don't know when I will get eggs again but when I do I can let anyone who is interested know!
    I'm in Ohio!
    Just pm me!
    Brenda
    PS I still have some ducklings left to sell!

10. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    We bought some from Hoffman Hatchery and I would recommend them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by