Muscovy ducks...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Duckysalterego, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Duckysalterego

Duckysalterego Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2013
    Deltona,Fl
    Hi! I have trying to find an answer to my question searching the internet when I found this site. I sure hope someone can help...
    My husband and I have a duck house in our front yard and one of the wild Muscovy ducks nested and laid 12 eggs .After keeping track of when she laid the first egg to when the first egg hatched on day 50 along with 5 other eggs 6 hatched total...the mother left the nest with her 5 ducklings in tow...leaving behind 1 dead duckling I assume was suffocated under her. She came back today alone but wouldn't go into the duck house...I was wondering if anyone would know if she is staying out because of the dead duckling (which was immediately removed once discovered) or will she go back in and hatch the remaining 6 eggs ? Please any helpwould be appreciated.....
    Thank you ,
    Ducky's alter ego :)

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Once they leave the nest, they are done hatching. It is unlikely that the remaining eggs are viable. The mother knows if some eggs won't hatch. She may have returned because the nest was a safe place for a while. If she was without any ducklings, they may have been killed after she left the nest. Muscovy are usually very good mothers and won't leave their babies for a while.

3. Duckysalterego

Jan 28, 2013
    Deltona,Fl
    TY ... I did the water test (got this off of another site) and 5 of the 6 remaining eggs floated to the top of the water the other one sorta floated but didn't sink either ...I currently have the eggs in a box with some of the nest in my house ..I am trying to find a bird sanctuary

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Are you saying she left the nest with the ducklings and came back with out them? if so how sad. [​IMG]

5. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I'm sorry but in the water test, for fertile and viable eggs, the eggs will begin rocking in water because there is a live duckling in them and placing them in water cuts off the air. A floating egg just means the egg is old, which they are.

Again, because the mother left the nest, the eggs are probably not viable. Even if they were and she was gone for more than maybe 30-60 minutes, the loss of heat would have killed them.

Sorry, just trying to be truthful and to the point. It is great that you are so concerned but it is kind of the circle of life for wild birds.

1 person likes this.
  6. theadopter

theadopter Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2012
    I hand fed a wild Muscovey for almost 2 months while she lay on her 16 eggs! 15 hatched and they were inseperable for 2 months until the babies disappeared 1 by 1... alligators and hawks and VERY LARGE TURTLE!! Olivia (momma ducks name) and I were upset, :( you could see her depression! Good Luck They have very caring and bonding personallities!

7. Duckysalterego

Jan 28, 2013
    Deltona,Fl
    yes she comes back with no ducklings and pops her head into the duck house but won't go in...we keep food in the feeders and water in a dish (there are several ducks that come up) but she doesn't stay long she flies off I assume back to the pond at the other end of our road

8. Duckysalterego

Jan 28, 2013
    Deltona,Fl
    Ty that's is good to know I just didn't want to dispose of them if they were still viable ...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by