Muscovy Egg Hatching Help!!

lfrances2140

In the Brooder
May 2, 2022
I am incubating Muscovy ducks and this is my first time doing duck eggs. On Friday, this egg pipped around noon on day 32. On Saturday exactly 24 hours later, it had one wing out. Sunday, no change. Today which is day 35, this is what he looks like. There are 4 other eggs with him, but it’s hard for me to tell if they’re pipped yet. Should I interfere at the end of the day if there’s still no change? I don’t want to disrupt the hatching of the others eggs since it’s still only day 35, but he’s been pipped for almost 72 hours. Any advice would be appreciated!!
102CB214-BA3F-4EE8-BA71-BE9F350A81E9.jpeg

I applaud your patience in trying to let the duckling hatch on its own. Given how much time has elapsed without significant progress as well as the position in egg, s/he may need help.

Pyxis wrote a detailed guide on assisted hatching. Read it before you try to assist. If you do proceed, remember to be very cautious - go very slowly and stop if you see any blood (this is explained in the article).

If you have a circulated air incubator, briefly opening it to remove the duckling and then putting it back in should only cause a brief drop in temperature and humidity, which shouldn't cause problems for the others trying to hatch. You could add a bit of warm water to the water channels if the humidity doesn't rebound after a few minutes.

Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom