Muscovy egg incubation

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by clucknquack, Jul 27, 2017.

1. clucknquack

clucknquack Songster

Nov 25, 2016
    East Stroudsburg, PA
    Hello!

My Muscovy females decided to go broody before I wanted them to. So, I took their eggs and busted up their nest. I'm hoping for more eggs. But, I decided to put 11 eggs into the incubator. So, here we go!

I am going to update every few days with my progress! I hope you will follow along!

Attached Files:

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Free Ranging

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Following! Hope it goes well. :)

clucknquack likes this.
  3. clucknquack

clucknquack Songster

Nov 25, 2016
    East Stroudsburg, PA
    Temp and humidity are holding steady in the bator, but I'm not thrilled with the auto turner, so I'm hand turning the eggs twice a day as well, just to be safe. Can't wait to candle in a few more days.

BYCforlife likes this.
  4. clucknquack

clucknquack Songster

Nov 25, 2016
    East Stroudsburg, PA
    I'm so frustrated and upset. Yesterday I got 23 Welsh Harlequin eggs and was going to start a new hatching thread for them.

I dug out my trusty Styrofoam incubator, set it up and put the eggs in. No worries, right?

Wrong... My neighbor and her 130lb, 7 year old son came to visit. Things were fine until he asked to use the bathroom. He disappeared, and then we hear a loud crash that didn't come from the bathroom! We go running to investigate. It turned out that he let himself into my incubation room (no where near the bathroom) and decides to climb on the Styrofoam incubator to try and get one of my statues off of a high shelf!

Of course the incubator was crushed under his weight and so were 12 of my eggs and my statue! I'm so lucky that I didn't lose them all!

I of course yelled at him (not in a mean way, but in a stern you should know better way)

His mom got mad at me because he got scratched on my broken Statue?! That he broke! Ugh. No I'm sorry. No offer of compensation for the incubator, statue, or eggs. Nothing, except for criticism about how her son got hurt.

He knew where the bathroom was. They (annoy) visit me every day. He was told not to go in any other rooms. How is this my fault? My poor eggs!

I told her that her son was not allowed in my house again until he learned manners! I hope that isn't too mean, but I am pretty upset.

So now, the survivors are in my new bator with my Muscovy eggs. It's going to be a staggered hatch with 4 days in between hatch dates. I hope things work out. Grrrr

Sorry, had to rant. I'm still very upset and out over $150 between the statue, incubator, and broken shelf.

WVduckchick likes this.
  5. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
    Oh wow. What a mess! I'm sorry you lost your eggs/bator/statue! Unbelievable how some people can be...

clucknquack likes this.
  6. clucknquack

clucknquack Songster

Nov 25, 2016
    East Stroudsburg, PA
    Thanks. Now that I have calmed down a bit I'm glad the boy is OK, and that I didn't lose all my eggs.

I can replace everything else eventually...

I've never done a staggered hatch before, so this should be interesting.

TheKindaFarmGal likes this.
  7. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
    Yeah, I would be too! Still, it is a bummer.

I've done staggered hatches but not with a difference over two or so days. Maybe you'll get a broody and be able to put them under her for a couple days at the end?

8. clucknquack

clucknquack Songster

Nov 25, 2016
    East Stroudsburg, PA
    I candled my Muscovy eggs. They're only at day 4 and at least 5 had veins and cute little heartbeats!

Micaela.ph15 and TheKindaFarmGal like this.
  9. clucknquack

clucknquack Songster

Nov 25, 2016
    East Stroudsburg, PA
    Day 5 of Muscovy eggs

9 have veins and heartbeats
    2 are still clear.
    Giving the clears 2 more days before tossing them.

Checked a couple of the Welsh Harlequin eggs, I can see the disc of cells in them. So far so good.

10. clucknquack

clucknquack Songster

Nov 25, 2016
    East Stroudsburg, PA
    Day 7

All of my Muscovy eggs are fertile and alive, even the ones I sold to a friend! 100% fertility woo-hoo!

Some of the Welsh Harlequin eggs are also showing veins!

This will be a fun hatch!

TheKindaFarmGal likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: