Muscovy egg incubator

melissa508

Songster
10 Years
Mar 23, 2009
ma
I put 8 peafowl eggs under 2 muscovy"s sharing a nest yesterday..I want these eggs to hatch & dont have anything else that is broody & i hate risking incubating them with all the duck eggs due to hatch over the next couple of weeks.
I have a guinea who is due to go broody..but this is going to be her 1st time & i hate taking the risk.
Ive used other birds to hatch all kinds of eggs, but have only used muscovy for ducks..theyre big feet make me nervous..I have seen them flatten ducklings on accident.

Will the humidity make much of a difference since ive used chickens to hatch them before & never a duck?.. These ducks are also a 1st time sitters, ive candled their own eggs & theyre doing fine, they even had some guinea eggs i didnt know about and they look good..

I guess im most worried about the 1st week & last week..what seems to be the most important time in incubating.
Has anyone ever used a muscovy for sitting on eggs other than ducks?
& had sucess?

I think i would put the muscovy and guinea eggs in the incubator and remove one of the muscovy hens so no fighting and breaking eggs happens and let one hen incubate them and they should be fine. I think the first 10 days or so is the most critical.

I just candled the pea eggs & theyre developing. I cant get the 2 hens separated, they dont fight..however they switch nests often..but everything theyre sitting on looks good. I took some eggs away so that the pea eggs would have good coverage.
I will be so THRILLED if even 1 of those pied eggs hatch & it turns out to be a male. I have a variety of color possibilities with those 8 eggs , the breeder just gathered eggs from all his different pens & didnt bother to mark them with the color..so its going to be like xmas for me IF they hatch.

Know a breeder that used muscovy, but just that first week.
Think you will be fine.

Good luck with your hatch.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom