1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

muscovy egg laying HELP

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sarahkoko, Apr 16, 2018.

1. sarahkoko

sarahkoko In the Brooder

Apr 16, 2018
    My duck Pallas has just had its first egg yesterday, however she didnt have one this morning? is this normal? (i saw others saying they get one everyday). also if i leave the eggs (unsure if fertilised) in the coop will they rot? it is hot in australia. thankyou :)

2. Soon2BChixMom

Soon2BChixMom Crossing the Road

Jan 8, 2017
    NE Indiana
    My Coop
    Congrats on your first egg! I know chickens lay sporadically at first. I imagine it is the same for ducks.
    How many muscovies do you have?
    :welcome

sarahkoko likes this.
  3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma Premium Member

She is too young to go Broody. Collect the eggs as she lays them. They don't always lay eggs everyday.

sarahkoko likes this.
  4. sarahkoko

sarahkoko In the Brooder

Apr 16, 2018
    oh so if she doent broody them theres more of a chance its not fertile?

5. sarahkoko

sarahkoko In the Brooder

Apr 16, 2018
    thankyou!!! it is very exciting hehe. i only have one sadly but it seems to not mind as it flys to the creek behind my house were other wild ducks are. :)

Soon2BChixMom likes this.
  6. Soon2BChixMom

Jan 8, 2017
    NE Indiana
    My Coop
    What type of wild ducks? Muscovy actually have their own "language" as they are not mallard based ducks. I bet she might be happier with one of her own kind hanging around too. Unless the wild ducks are wild muscovies. How long have you had her?

7. sarahkoko

sarahkoko In the Brooder

Apr 16, 2018

8. Soon2BChixMom

Jan 8, 2017
    NE Indiana
    My Coop
    Have you tried craigslist? Local to me, there are at least 4 different cl ads for scovies. It would be ok to get ducklings too, but then you have to wait for them to grow and integrate. Or try your state thread here on byc. I got my muscovies from another byc member.
    Where are you located?

9. sarahkoko

sarahkoko In the Brooder

Apr 16, 2018
    I’m located in Sydney Australia, I went on rspca and gumtree, no luck. They are all ducklings or sold out?

Soon2BChixMom likes this.
  10. Soon2BChixMom

Jan 8, 2017
    NE Indiana
    My Coop
    I see. Well, I don't know where to point you now. ;) If the ducklings are muscovy, that might work. Otherwise, maybe it is fine for her until you can find her a friend. I know mallard based ducks will mate muscovy, just that the offspring will be sterile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: