muscovy egg yolks too thick

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by GuateFarmer, Oct 27, 2013.

1. GuateFarmer

GuateFarmer New Egg

Oct 1, 2013
    I have two new muscovy ducks that have just started laying. The yolks of the eggs were extremely thick and the smell was extra gamey. Is their something wrong with their diet. They eat cracked corn and free range. I'd be happy to hear any suggestions.

2. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Thick yolks are common with ducks.

And how long have you had them? The egg taste generally changes based on diet, but certain flavors and qualities can tend to be genetic. So if you haven't had them long, it could be due to the fact of what they were fed before you got them.

I free range mine. They get scratch (cracked corn with oats and barley) a handful at a time everytime I go outside, and layer pellets twice a day. Their eggs have little to no flavor at all

3. GuateFarmer

GuateFarmer New Egg

Oct 1, 2013
    Thanks. I've had them for about a week. The yolks are very different from my other female, who I have had for about 6 months. Her eggs had thick yolks but these were so thick that they were almost solid. I live in a small village in Guatemala and don't have access to pellets. So we get by w/ cracked corn and free ranging. I appreciate your response. And will see what happens with time.

Cheers

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by