Muscovy egg?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lauralou, Feb 18, 2009.

1. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I found an egg in the duckhouse today. My first thought was that it was a chicken egg. The chickens do have access to the duckhouse. But when I picked it up, it felt lighter than a chicken egg of similar size. It was roundish and sorta white, but hard to tell, because it was smeared with our wretched red mud.

Could it possibly be a duck egg? I have a female muscovy, but she hasn't laid yet. That I know of, anyway.

And I've never even seen a muscovy egg. I didn't notice any waxy texture to it, but again, it's been raining all day, and the egg was muddy.

Can anyone give me any info or pictures of muscovy eggs?

2. streemers

streemers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    port orchard,WA
    a duck egg is bigger most the time and heavier. keep and eye out it could be a duck egg;)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  3. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    Duck eggs have a glossy look and feeling to them and would have an offwhiite,gray/green look

4. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Quote:I agree Muscovy eggs feel almost silky, very smooth and after the first few "pullet" eggs they are large. about half again larger or double the size of a chicken egg.

Steve in NC

5. lauralou

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I cleaned it off, and I am thinking it is a duck egg. It seems smoother in texture than the chicken eggs, almost slick. And the color is all wrong for a chicken egg too. It's not the pure white of my Andalusian eggs, but is way lighter than my lightest brown egg. It's off-white.

So, now I have a couple more questions.

Is it true that ducks tend to lay in the mornings? I ask because the weather was so terrible this morning, with freezing rain, that I let them out later than usual. I didn't check the nestbox then, because honestly, I never in a million years expected that she would lay where she was supposed to lay... And now I'm thinking that maybe I should continue to let the ducks out later, to encourage her to lay in her nestbox.

And, how do you tell if a duck egg is fertile? Is it the same as with chicken eggs? Is there a bullseye on the yolk of a fertile duck egg? I haven't seen the drake mating her yet, but that doesn't mean it isn't happening. [​IMG]

Thanks in advance!

6. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Quote:Our runners lay very early in the morning, the muscovies lay all day long. The "bullseye" is the same on a duck egg but it's not as clear cut as a chicken egg. The chicken has a sharp dot and ring the ducks not as much so.

Steve in NC

7. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    A duck egg shell is way harder than a chicken egg. I think my duck eggs have a lighter yolk then my chickens, more yellow than orange.

8. lauralou

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Thanks you guys!

I'll crack the egg this morning when I make breakfast. I'll let you know what I find! [​IMG]

9. lauralou

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Well, I cracked the egg. It was no harder to crack than a chicken egg. So maybe it was just an Andalusian egg that got stained by our rusty dirt. That would explain the off color.

And there was no hint of a bullseye. I don't have a rooster, so my chicken eggs never have a bullseye.

Probably just wishful thinking that it was a duck egg. Oh well...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by