Muscovy eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Skennedy2992, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Skennedy2992

Skennedy2992 In the Brooder

Aug 6, 2019
    So my muscovy duck was mated by our black swedish duck and is currently sitting on 14 live eggs. So here's my problem. Her previous baby's that she foster hatched had been sitting on her eggs when she would be away from them during the process of her laying her clutch (they're pretty big already, they hatched april of this year). Anywho I candled the eggs today just to make sure all babies were still alive. Based on the calendar she should still have about a week and a half to 2 weeks before these eggs hatch because they take longer than normal duck eggs. Anyways there were I believe 4-5 eggs that when I candled them looked like the baby had already broke through the air sac seems how I can see the shadow of its beaks in the airsac. All the other babies looked like they still needed some time to grow. If those babies hatch here in the next couple of days, will she leave the ones that are unhatched even though they are live babies? If so what should I do? Do I need to get a incubator to hatch the rest of them or can I use an enclosed area with a heat lamp in it? I just don't want her to leave the ones that I can clearly tell are not ready yet.

MROO likes this.
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Dreaming of Fall

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    She will generally abandon the rest of the eggs about 2 days after the first hatches. I don't think a heat lamp will work because eggs need humidity, and a lamp will dry them out.

Marieaa70 and MROO like this.
  3. Skennedy2992

Aug 6, 2019
    What if I pulled the babies as soon as they hatch and put into a separate nesting box away from her? Would she stay with the unhatched ones then? If I'm having to get an incubator what is a good one that isn't so costly?

Raenh and MROO like this.
  4. MROO

MROO Free Ranging

Where are you located? If you're in the US, you may be able to borrow an incubator from your local Agricultural Extension Service. One of their programs places incubators and eggs in classrooms. With school out of session in most jurisdictions, right now, you should be able to find one.

5. Skennedy2992

Aug 6, 2019
    I'm located in northern California. I'll do some research to see if we have one of those around here. I know there's 3 feed stores within 5 miles from me so I'm also looking for a decent one there that won't cost me an arm and a leg. Will they be able to tell me what to incubate them at? Since there due in approximately 2 weeks i dont want It to cook them. Just need someplace to keep then brewing if momma does end up abandoning them. I could be wrong about the others but I swear it looks like the beak is poked through the air sac when I candled them. There's no pip Mark's yet so I'm still safe there lol

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Get your bator then post back there will be someone here able to help you. Lots of experienced hatchers here.

Raenh and DuckyDonna like this.
  7. MROO

MROO Free Ranging

Check out some of the articles here on BYC. There are lots of ways to build your own incubator, and some of them are extremely cost-effective (aka CHEAP to build!)

Miss Lydia likes this.
  8. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Dreaming of Fall

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    If you pull them as they hatch the hen should continue to set. I have done this with chickens, but I haven't tried it with a muscovy, so I'm not positive.

casportpony likes this.
  9. Muscovy Wunda

Muscovy Wunda Songster

Speaking from experience with mumma muscovies... I'd rather take risk of waiting to see if she abandons eggs, then dare try pick up one of her babies. Otherwise, you need to catch and secure her first, which depending on the hen can also be a traumatic experience. And I don't just mean for the hen :oops:. I hope the babies are just plying tricks on you and they are all alittle bit off still.:fl

10. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    Miss Lydia likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: