Muscovy Experts help! I just had a horrible thought!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickboss, Jul 7, 2010.

1. chickboss

chickboss Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    My Muscovies are 13 weeks old and I have made the assumption that they, because they are somewhat more seasonal layers as I understand it, would not start laying and possibly brooding until next year. But it has dawned on me quite suddenly that I may have been wrong, and if I am wrong, I am freaked because though I love ducklings, I am not set up for broodies at the moment. So, my question is, do I need to add this to my list of things to accomplish ASAP or can I wait for the fall to get ready for next year? Thanks!

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Ok..So I dont have Scovies...And it winter here now- but I am hearing of people with scovies sitting and hatching right now. You could aways just remove any eggs that are laid until you have things set up for a broody scovie- or alternatively- just take the " be ready for anything" attitude and start planning or getting things ready now for just in case.

3. chickboss

Mar 23, 2010
    I know, I keep seeing all these Muscovy ducklings and I'm like, wait, mine are almost grown! That is what got me to worrying. I'll probably just take the eggs and hope that one doesn't get crazy broody. LOL. Thanks!

4. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Although my male Muscovy's that were hatched on Valentine's Day are fertile and mating with my older Scovy girls, my younger Scovy girls, also born on Valentines Day show no interest in laying or mating yet. So you're probably going to be okay. I have a nest with my 4 older Scovy girls sitting at the same time, while my younger two girls could care less.

Laurie

5. MDC

MDC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    KS
    In my location with birds that are hatched normally (usually late May or first week of June) they might lay a few eggs sporadically during the late fall but will soon stop until spring. It is the older, mature birds that are first to lay and first to set in the spring, as a general rule. I think it takes, on average, 9 months before they're 'sexually' mature and interested in possibly setting. I cannot speak towards those birds in the southern states that don't experience what we like to call, "winter". lol

6. chickboss

Mar 23, 2010
    Okay, thanks! I am relieved. [​IMG] We are in Oregon so it should get cool enough to cause a Winter pause if they do start some laying here and there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by