Muscovy gender id?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by farmerChef, Dec 1, 2010.

1. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    I read somewhere that you can tell if a mucsovy is a boy or a girl by looking at the end of its beak.
    color=boy, no color=girl. is this true? if not, can you tell them apart? most of them are about 5 months old.

was wondering because my cousin has a bunch of them and his daughter want's the brown one to be a girl, but I think it's a boy. post pic tomorrow if i see it. they're free range and like to spend the day across the road in an old softball field.

2. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

That's totally not true.. but funny still! [​IMG]

If they're all 5 months old you should be able to tell by size, the boys will be obviously bigger... bigger feet, longer body, wide tail(hens will have pointed tails), my boys also ahve kinda fat heads too [​IMG] The boys should also have more caruncles(red mask) than the girls too.

3. jessylee

jessylee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Olympia
    Definatly a wife's tale, my girls have color on their beaks. The feet look way bigger if it is a male. Always love to see pics of muscovies![​IMG]

4. Caprice_Acres

Caprice_Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Michigan
    the color on the tip of the bill will correspond to plumage color. White birds won't have color. Blue/black birds have a blackish grey spot. Chocolate birds have a nice brown spot. [​IMG]

At 5 months they should be easy to distinguish sexes. Males are HUGE compared to the hens, and this can be noticed as early as 4-5 WEEKS of age. By the time they're 5 months, they're super easy to tell. At 5 months they are a LITTLE young to get caruncling, but they may be starting to get some in.

5. farmerChef

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    Here's the duck in question, i think male
    [​IMG]
    it is the only brown one, there are 2 or 3 white with brown though, he started with a drake and 2 hens that were blue/white, is the brown a resessive gene?

here's a couple pics of some of the others, not to close, they're free range, so i couldn't get to close
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    The brown one does look like a male because he already has a lot more "crinkling" around the face. Also, I think your black one in the third pic is also a male, too.

7. TV

TV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2009
    Kansas
    The brown duck looks like a hen. The group of 3 looks like 2 drakes and 1 hen (middle duck).

8. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Quote:The two you mentioned as being hens already have more crinkling and a longer tail the the other two that you say are drakes. Drakes have more crinkling in the face and longer, more square tails, hens do not have much crinkling and have a rounder body, which is why I responded the way I responded. They're still too young to have the full male or female features, but they seem to have enough.

I know there's a lot of muscovy owners in this forum that can definitely give an idea about the gender.

OP, do you have any other photos of the ducks that show the face better?

ETA: Here is a link to photo of a male and a female wild-type by Mila Zinkova. The male is on the right:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Male_and_female_Muscovy_Ducks_2.jpg

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  9. farmerChef

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    I'll post some pics tonite when they roost so I can get closer. there is only one duck that doesn't have red around the eyes, could that be a hen? it's the white w/ brown one in the last pic.
    The black duck in the 3rd pic is Big Daddy, the father of all of the others, I think the 2 original hens have disappered, for some reason or another.
    Anybody know about the color gene? wouldn't blue/white doucks throw only blue/white? or is the brown a recessive gene? there aren't any other ducks around us that I know of.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  10. TV

TV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2009
    Kansas
    Quote:The two you mentioned as being hens already have more crinkling and a longer tail the the other two that you say are drakes. Drakes have more crinkling in the face and longer, more square tails, hens do not have much crinkling and have a rounder body, which is why I responded the way I responded. They're still too young to have the full male or female features, but they seem to have enough.

I know there's a lot of muscovy owners in this forum that can definitely give an idea about the gender.

OP, do you have any other photos of the ducks that show the face better?

ETA: Here is a link to photo of a male and a female wild-type by Mila Zinkova. The male is on the right:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Male_and_female_Muscovy_Ducks_2.jpg

I've raised over 75 Muscovies over the last 2 yrs. and based on the caruncles I can see in these photos I'll stick with my opinion. closer pics of the faces would definatly help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by