muscovy gender

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hdowden, Jan 29, 2013.

1. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i think 3 drakes and 4 ducks. 3 of the black and whites are old will try to label them right

older hen (4 months)

[​IMG]

young drake (2 months)
    [​IMG]

younger hen 2 months also a runt for muscovy
    [​IMG]

left to right: young hen, older hen, yonger hen, young drake, young, drake, young drake, and in the back older hen
    [​IMG]

older hen
    [​IMG]

older hen
    [​IMG]

younger hen
    [​IMG]

young drake
    [​IMG]

young drake
    [​IMG]

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Based on this pic I'd say, duck, duck, drake, drake, drake, drake. I can't see the one in the back well enough. Hard to say for sure with the angles and above shots. By 2 months there will be a noticeable size difference and it will only get bigger as they age.

3. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    the 2 whites and the one black and white in between them are all larger in body, legs, and feet. all the others are smaller (those 3 are 2 months and 3 days old) in that pic there is also the two 4 month olds and another 2 month old. the one in the very back is a 4 month old

the 3 older ones already had feathers coming in when i got them and i estimate that they were 3-4 weeks old which makes the 4-5 months of age.

4. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    can someone please help with these i am a chicken person and not a good duck gender guesser yet. i need to sell 1-2 drakes but i need to be 100% sure that i do not sell any ducks as i really need them. if you agree with my gender guesses or dis agree please do post your opinion thank you

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    It's hard with pics but i think your right as Jdywntr said the sizing WILL be noticeable, the drakes outsize ducks rather quickly after they hit that 2-3mth mark. Can you pick them up? with ducks they tend to be under the arm tuckable, whereas drakes are anything but...

This is a pic of two of my last summers hatch, the ducklet is the back, drakelet in the front, same age.. same clutch, aprox 4mths old.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  6. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    yea i can pick them up lol those 3 are defently larger then the rest. its hard to get good pics of them as they dont sit still long enough, took me an hour just to get those pics [​IMG] food then water over and over again plus a 2 year old wanting to catch them so yea -_-

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by