Muscovy grow out time-line - pictures added (that should draw you in )

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pbjmaker, May 18, 2011.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    So we got a WHOLE bunch of muscovies this weekend at an auction of which we are keeping several and selling of the rest. My full grown hen is being stubborn and hasn't started laying yet [​IMG]

Any how I would like to know about how long it takes for them to grow out?

Also to help me age them since the new heard is allllll different ages from days old to ummm bigger. About how old are they when their shoulder feathers start coming in?

I will get some pictures later because I want help identifying some colors also. Right now the camera battery is completely dead and is on the charger (note to self - don't leave camera hooked to the computer it drains the battery [​IMG] )

One I have picked out for sure to keep is yellow down with a bit of blue undertone. Its feathers are growing in a pretty silver color.

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  2. Caprice_Acres

Caprice_Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Michigan
    Pics will help us ID age and color. [​IMG]

I butcher my 'scovies starting at 12 weeks. They'll be quite large and fully feathered by then. Any longer and feed efficiency drops off.

3. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Here are some pictures of the ducklings. It was near impossible to get a good shot of any of them.

The ones I am definately keeping - color ID please?

[​IMG]

This one has barring?

[​IMG]

4. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    A group shot of them saying "Run away, Run away!" You can see the different sizes here. The really tiny babies are still in my basement or sold.

[​IMG]

My grown up pair (I wish this hen would start laying!)

Duck Dodger

[​IMG]

And his wife Dee Dee
    [​IMG]

5. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    You have some very pretty scovies. I don't have ducks.........yet. Shhhh! Don't tell DH!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by