Muscovy has been broody and sitting for 2 months with no eggs

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DumiAndFriends, Feb 25, 2017.

1. DumiAndFriends

DumiAndFriends New Egg

Feb 25, 2017
    Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help and shed some light on my muscovy situation...

I have a muscovy female who has been sitting on her nest for probably over 2 months now (with no eggs and not laying), originally she would come out once or twice a day, however recently barely coming out and when she does, she does a huge liquid sprayed poo (sorry for the graphic info) like she has held it until that point. Now has started pooing like this in her nesting area.

I have no idea what this could be from, could it be parasites/worms? Mineral deficiency? a neurological thing or something else?

If anyone has had something like this before I would love some info to help my girl as she doesn't seem happy now and is loosing colour in her red cheeks and beak.

Thanks in advance.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Behavior like this is not uncommon with chicken broodies. Your duck needs to be "broken," because she is just wearing herself out for nothing. Some broodies(chickens) will try to hatch rocks, golf balls, or absolutely nothing at all. But, all broodies need to be "put out" from their nest two or three times a day so they will potty away from the nest and get to eat and drink.

Please put "Breaking a broody," in the search box above. Articles will pop up. You might also post on the "Duck thread," to see how they "break" them. in case their is a difference.

1 person likes this.
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  4. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

You've already received some good advice and a link to the duck forum so I'll just say hello and best of luck with your Muscovy!

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under DumiAndFriends [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some good advice and links, I will just wish you and your little girl all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings, DumiAndFriends, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! Best of luck to you and your flock!

7. DumiAndFriends

DumiAndFriends New Egg

Feb 25, 2017
    Wow, thank you all very much for the advice and kind wishes :) drumstick diva I will give this a go and hopefully that will break the habit cycle for her.

What a lovely community of people, I appreciate all the knowledge and wisdom.

I will action all the suggestions and links to different threads!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by