Muscovy has swollen, red eye!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Pent, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Pent

Pent Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I am just out of the woods with Bumblefoot, and then this happens! One of my girls has a red eye, and the flesh around it is red and inflamed. Her bill is slightly open, she does not look happy. Should I separate her from my other duck? She looked fine last night. Their water dish is deep enough to dunk their heads, and I feed fermented lay mash.
    They're indoors and on shavings right now to make treating for the bumble easier.
    Its such a shame, as I have an eye on a great drake for them, any help would be appreciated!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Could she have hit her eye on something?or could the other duck have popped her in the eye? or got something in it? try making a saline wash by using warm water and salt. you can mix this and use a wash cloth and dribble the mixture over the eye or pour it over the eye. also Veterycin spray works good for eye problems all you need to do is spray the eye out with it it's for wounds and infections

And don't give up looking for a drake hopefully this is something minor. I wouldn't separate it would just cause stress.

1 person likes this.
  3. Pent

Pent Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Thanks; I freaked out a bit there. It seems to have mostly gone down on its own in the past hour or so. I'm keeping an eye on it. Maybe she just got a wood chip in her eye or something? Anyway I refilled the morning water dish (Why do ducks make water so white and filthy so fast, don't they know they need it?), so hopefully she keeps it clean herself.
    I'm still planning to get this Drake, but I'm starting to get short on quarantine zones, lol. The Bantams in the converted cabinet, My roo with frostbite feet so they're being kept away from the ducks, The ducks had bumblefoot when I got them, so they're in a cardboard corral in the back room, and the door at the end of the coop run is stuck open with a few feet of snow and Ice. Ugh, can this winter be over yet?
    I'm in Nova Scotia, and with the recent snow we've been getting the Maritime provinces are basically... gone. The country now goes Ontario, Quebec, snowbank.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You know I looked at your avatar and thought how nice to be sitting around in shorts didn't even notice where you were lol sounds like you have a hospital going there Doc. Ducks are pretty hearty and if you know where your getting them from and know how they are kept I'd not be too worried about quarantine. I wouldn't rec this with chickens or turkeys or other poultry except for geese an ducks but it all depends on where they are coming from and if you can see the place they live.
    Glad to hear it's doing okay. you can also add some ACV to their water for drinking and head washing. It can kill some bacteria.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by