Muscovy hatching help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BunnyStyles, Nov 15, 2014.

1. BunnyStyles

BunnyStyles Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2014
    Hey guys about 4 days till the 3 ducks will hatch, my question is, is there anything i need to look out for when they hatch? i want everything to go well, also i candled my eggs tonight to check the other ones which are on day 10, the blood vessel thingys are shown and they are big but i can find the heart? its not in the centre of the egg anymore can someone tell why that is?

if you want pictures, i'll go candled them again to get the pictures, this thing thats happening with the heart,its in three other eggs last time i checked.

2. thecluckenfarm

thecluckenfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2014
    Butlerville, Arkansas
    I don't have muscovys, but did just hatch 7 of 9 the other two are pipped. In my honest opinion I would not stagger hatch unless you have 2 bators. I have done it. The humidity for the last 3 days needs to be between 65 and 70. In the beginning it needs to be lower than 60. Everyone varies on what works for them. The reason for the higher humidity at the end is so they don't shrink wrap. That is one of the major things I would say to look out for. I had to assist with two that had shrink wrapped. They had a hole in the egg but we're not zipping out. When I looked in the hole I could see the membrane stuck to their body. In order to get to the membrane without drowning them I zipped the shell a little more then dripped warm water on the membrane. They were able to finish unzipping and push out just fine. As for the 10 day eggs, candle at 17 days. I personally candle at 10,18 and the day before lockdown. Even if I'm not sure it made it at lockdown time I leave it. I have one that is fat and happy that I didn't think had made it. Hope this helps some. It's nerve wracking![​IMG]

3. BunnyStyles

BunnyStyles Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2014
    thank you! i also have muscovy ducks, charlie my girl is sitting on some eggs which have been under her for 25 days now as she got really upset when she had her other eggs because they werent fertile so ive left the eggs she has now under her which are fertile since i candled them already,is there anything i need to do or should i leave it to charlie to do everything on hatching day, this is my first time having ducklings hatched so yeah haha, need alot of help for now

also is it 28 days or 35 days? because ive seen alot of people post videos of muscovy ducklings hatching on 28th day so yeah i dont know

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by