Muscovy Hatching (Update, sad news)

marie_martin

Songster
12 Years
Feb 21, 2007
Grenada, MS
It is part of the way hatched but I was adding water and noticed the yolk is not all the way absorbed. Can't really tell how much without taking it out of the bator. I did moisten a paper towel with warm water and wrap around the egg to keep the bird damp so it could move around but maybe stay inside the shell long enough to absorb the yolk. I have had this in chickens, but this is my first experience hatching waterfowl. Any suggestions? Or should I just count on him/her to die? Thanks.

Marie

Last edited:
I have had that happen with chicks and I just leave them until they finish absorbing. Sometimes, depending on condition, I might spray it with just a little warm water to keep the membrane from drying out too much. I don't see any reason why it would be any different with ducks. I certainly wouldn't count it as dead just yet. Where there's life, there's hope.

smile.png

Here are some pictures of the new babies. Almost hatched. The yellow ones yolk is all the way absorbed now and the black one is almost. They are both still attached to the membrane or whatever you call it to their belly buttons. Keep your fingers crossed. The third one was fully formed and dead in the shell. Not sure what happened there. It was not moving the day that I took them out of the turner and upped the humidity. So may have already been dead? But here are the two survivors (so far at least)

IMG_2648.jpg

IMG_2649.jpg

Marie

Adding a video:

http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i162/marie_martin/?action=view&current=MVI_2652.flv

And more pics:

IMG_2653.jpg

IMG_2654.jpg

IMG_2655.jpg

IMG_2656.jpg

IMG_2657.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, I cleaned everything out since they are basically done hatching. I just removed the rest of the shell and they are free. I have put in a paper towel padding for them to lay on until dry. So far so good. The navals are rough but the yolks are absorbed. Will get updated pics later on when fluffy.

Maie

Sad news, the yellow one did not make it overnight. I wish I could have stayed awake and kept check on it but my meds make me go to sleep and then I can't get up til morning. But I guess it was for the best if it was weak. The black one is ok so far and trying to move around a bit more. Will update later.

Marie

Back
Top Bottom