Muscovy Hen Attitude Query

DeeJay

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 24, 2015
Hi! :)

Myself and my partner have had our Muscovy "Lemon" since she was 10 days old, she's nearing a year now and has been moulting for a couple of weeks (her wings look ridiculously tiny right now).

Lately when being playful she has become overly playful and more forceful as in OUCH with bites. Like some sort of duck hickeys haha. No aggressive manner though.

The more bothering thing is she now won't have anything to do with me - she will put the mohawk up an RUN - like she's scared of me. This is a sweet duck I've held and cuddled since she was tiny. She is still fine with my partner.

It started after I splashed her with water as it was incredibly hot and I was worried for her, and we both assumed she'd get over it the next day. Obviously, that hasn't been the case.

Could it be hormonal? Ie I am male, partner female and she most likely imprinted on my partner as her 'mum'; could she be wary of me thinking I'm a drake and cautious be because she is moulting? Do drakes get more aggressive or sexual around the time hens moult?

If we grab her (carefully) and cuddle she's fine, but scared and running if not forced to snuggle up with me lol. Again.. she's fine with "momma".

Just concerned as I love our little duck and it's starting to hurt a little being shunned. It sounds silly but she's part of the family!

If it's normal behaviour I will be relieved.

We are essentially her flock, and want the eggs so would consider perhaps another female. Thanks.

If anyone else encounters this behaviour, do not stress as after 4-5 days it passed. She was simply being protective of her re-growing wings/hormonal and I'm happy to report is back to her friendly, loving, playful self :)

Back
Top Bottom