Muscovy hen has abandoned her nest of 18 eggs due to predator eating 3

Chapduck

Hatching
Mar 22, 2018
I hope someone can quickly offer me advice concerning a nest of muscovy eggs. I live on brackish water near Pensacola, Florida. About a month ago, a hen chose my raised garden located on my terrace (about 16 feet above ground) for her nest. Over time she laid 18 eggs and began incubating on March 13th. She has been an amazing mama hen. However, yesterday it was apparent that a predator had invaded the nest and ate three eggs. The remains were all in the garden and the tops had been removed. The rest of the nest was intact and the hen (Gladys) was not present. The weather yesterday was mild with morning temperatures in the 50s and rising to the 60s. I covered the eggs with t-shirts warmed in the dryer and hoped for the return of Gladys. I have not interacted a lot with Gladys over the past month except I did say Hello to her each time I entered the terrace and made kissing noises to her. Yesterday I went out to the water and called her and made the kissing noise and out she came. So thankfully she was not injured in the invasion of the nest. However, she does not seem interested in returning. The nest has been without her for at least 28 hours. Is there anything I can do for the remaining 15 eggs, most partially buried in the dirt of the garden? Please advise. I do not have access to an incubator, at least I am not aware of that resource. I did call our local zoo, but they have not returned my call. I know I must act quickly. Thank you in advance for any direction you can offer to direct me in the correct action to take.

Candling might tell you.

73bc765f4f44fe52e0fbbcd42255c2d5.jpg

I hope someone can quickly offer me advice concerning a nest of muscovy eggs. I live on brackish water near Pensacola, Florida. About a month ago, a hen chose my raised garden located on my terrace (about 16 feet above ground) for her nest. Over time she laid 18 eggs and began incubating on March 13th. She has been an amazing mama hen. However, yesterday it was apparent that a predator had invaded the nest and ate three eggs. The remains were all in the garden and the tops had been removed. The rest of the nest was intact and the hen (Gladys) was not present. The weather yesterday was mild with morning temperatures in the 50s and rising to the 60s. I covered the eggs with t-shirts warmed in the dryer and hoped for the return of Gladys. I have not interacted a lot with Gladys over the past month except I did say Hello to her each time I entered the terrace and made kissing noises to her. Yesterday I went out to the water and called her and made the kissing noise and out she came. So thankfully she was not injured in the invasion of the nest. However, she does not seem interested in returning. The nest has been without her for at least 28 hours. Is there anything I can do for the remaining 15 eggs, most partially buried in the dirt of the garden? Please advise. I do not have access to an incubator, at least I am not aware of that resource. I did call our local zoo, but they have not returned my call. I know I must act quickly. Thank you in advance for any direction you can offer to direct me in the correct action to take.
I Am Sorry To Hear This. Your Gonna Think I Sm Crazy But Ive Tried This! And I received 4out of total of 15.from same thing happened. Ok I was in same boat. Have you seen the movie "Fly away Home" this movie is how I got 4. Put the egg either in a sturdy card board box or a plastic tote. Put something soft down then put eggs in. I had a heat lamp an
Aimed it down over them. And kept close eye. I'm the and turned every 2hours. It takes more Time. But Was Blessed With 4 And When They Hatch You Are Mama. I Pray That This Will Work For You. I Forgot To Tell You That I Found The Eggs This Way And Watched Snd Then picked up. So No clue On How Long Been with out Mama.

:welcome

Since a predator invaded she will not return to her nest most likely. Other than an incubator I doubt there is little hope for the eggs. I am sure this probably happens a lot in nature. Most likely she begin again soon. If she is like mine or other Muscovy's.
Very sorry.

gladys feather nest.JPG Thank you for your reply. Gladys has not been on the nest for 30 hours. Will the eggs be viable?

Back
Top Bottom