Muscovy hen on 32 Eggs!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by thepromise, Jun 28, 2010.

1. thepromise

thepromise Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2010
    Orange County
    My Muscovy hen Snow [Pure White], has laid non-stop this time and finally started to incubate her eggs today. But I counted them this morning and there were 32 eggs in her nest box. [​IMG] Has any muscovy owners, had their hens lay that many eggs and will they all hatch??? I have two other hens, in the pen... but Coco [Chocolate Pied] is already sitting on 23 eggs and is twleve days in... and my third hen Kujo [Blue Pied] is with her 18 ducklings that hatched on June 2nd!!!

I was just wondering if I should take some of Snows eggs and incubate them myseelf, or just leave her alone?

2. ilovemuscovy

ilovemuscovy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2010
    Los Angeles
    i never like incubating
    i feel like the ducklings always come out weak
    i would suggest moving some of the eggs to the duck sitting on 23 eggs

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    If you move some of the eggs to the duck with less eggs in her nest- you will end up with different hatch dates. If you do not take the first lot of babies away as they hatch the mother will leave then nest and the second lot of eggs will need to be moved again or incubated for the reamining time.

4. thepromise

thepromise Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2010
    Orange County
    My grandmother came over and said since Snow is pretty big, [12lbs] she will be able to incubate them all... hopefully they're all fertile... Cant wait to see them hatch! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  5. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] There is a good chance that some of those will not hatch.....32 eggs which means more than 32 days old on some of those. I'm guessing you could still have 20+ eggs hatching though. YOU are going to have a TON of ducklings! Sounds like my Scovy yard last year....

"May your yard over-runnith with ducklings." [​IMG]

6. ilovemuscovy

ilovemuscovy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Quote:12 pounds? good gracious! bless her soul

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by