Muscovy hen with scabs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RoyalHillsLLC, Aug 25, 2008.

1. RoyalHillsLLC

RoyalHillsLLC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    NW Louisiana-Vivian
    My favorite Muscovy hen has black spots behind her eyes that looks like big scabs. She has had them for a few weeks now. Any ideas? Her overall appearance has been down, too. She isn't keeping herself well, dirty a lot (the others prefer clean water, she is bathing in a mud hole or something), disappearing a lot, just doesn't seem like herself. It's possible she's going broody. I don't know if that is related or not.
    Any thoughts?

2. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

are they ticks? i know my roo had some on his crest 1 time and for 2 days i thought they were scabs.....( but im not to "fast" eitha,,hehe [​IMG] )

3. RoyalHillsLLC

RoyalHillsLLC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    NW Louisiana-Vivian
    No, I was holding her last night and I am confident they are not ticks. I will double-check though as I have had that experience before also. Those little bougars are hard to see sometimes.

4. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Ticks can be found in odd places with a different look then a normal bug. [​IMG] trust me

5. the1much

im not used to em,,hehe,,first time i saw 1 was 6 years ago when i came down here,,,,,i dont know what "kind" you have there,,,,but them little black ones are the ones that REALLY look like scabs,,,,MAN I HATE TICKS!! hehe [​IMG]
    sorry i couldnt be much help...i have NO experience with ducks,,,,,they are ducks right? hehe [​IMG]

6. the1much

Quote:hahaha [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by