Muscovy Hens not sitting on nest?

bobbo

Chirping
13 Years
Feb 9, 2009
Columbus
I have my first pair of breeding ducks and while I know my ducks are mating and producing fertile eggs, the hen has yet to set on the nest at all. Because of my inexperience with ducks I simply don't know what to expect.

I let the eggs lay in a pile until 8 eggs were accumulated and then ate them.

The chicken hens also up until 2 days ago lay eggs into the same pile.

The ducks began laying on their own nest 2 days ago and pulling feathers to do so..

With this information, can anyone make sense of what would be the best move to promote the hen to sit on the nest?

Thank you for reading.

What breed of ducks do you have?
If they are adding feathers to their nest they are getting close to brooding. Leave them, they know what they're about. Mucsovies will wait until they have a pile of eggs.
big_smile.png
They begin sitting only at night for awhile & getting up during the day. I started counting the days for incubation once they sat all day. Then they will only take a break once a day or two and act much like broody chooks
roll.png
bad attitude & all.
lau.gif

I have one on 20 eggs, 2 nesting together on 22+ eggs and a 4th duck who has laid 6 so far in a new nest once the other two took over her spot. I don't know about other breeds but Scovies wait until they feel they have enough eggs, buring them each day. You just have to take the chook eggs out and the chooks usually quit laying in the duck nest once it gets pretty full.

Just reread your title ..... Scovies! my favorite!
must be getting late many a typo!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom